Ransomes Lightweight land roller

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Ransomes Lightweight land roller

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mitzygolf
    Participant

Hi, the right roller as shown in the photos is seized. My question is has do I remove the land roller completely to investigate. Thanks in advance. 👍👍

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by mitzygolf.
    Attachments:
    hdtrust
    Participant

Yes the roller requires stripping from the housing, so that you can get to the axle, there will be 2 main reasons for the roller not to spin, the first may well be to do with corrosion for not being used for years. Put the rollers vertical in a vice, then get diesel in a spray can and soak all around the axle and leave, if it still does not move you can always add a bit of heat.
    The second problem could be that the roller has slipped on one of its journals, in this case caution must be observed as any use of ‘whitworth hammers’ could be a costly mistake. Again use diesel to free the roller parts, check whether the slide pin has moved position on the axle, if it has, then a new pin needs to be made. This is not uncommon on warn machines

wristpin
    Participant

I regularly overhaul neglected Marquises with seized rear rollers and have developed a method using a few homemade tools. Most seizures result either from no lubrication at all or from being greased which has dried out in the roller bearing passages and prevents further lubrication. The roller bearings should ONLY BE OILED , not greased.
    Remember that you are dealing with old cast iron, and act accordingly!
    My method.
    Cut the ned out of a 25l drum ,fill 2/3 full of diesel or kerosene.
    Gently lower in the roller and top up to cover.
    Leave for a week
    Remove roller and secure one end leaving the other end to be turned. NOT by a bar poked through one of the lubricator access holes.
    Try turning the free roller and work it back and forth while pulling it outward. Once it is free and off the shaft the battle is half won!!

Apologies for duplication of images but I cant find out how to remove it in edit!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by wristpin.
    Attachments:
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.