David Bradley, Brockhouse info needed

Home Forums General Help and information David Bradley, Brockhouse info needed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    arikispencer
    Participant

Howdy all,

Currently on the Aussie ebay is a David bradley garden tractor with plough, finger mower and toolbar, it has a 2 stroke motor on it that says brockhouse and made in england, but according to the books we have David Bradley is an american mfg company, is there anything anyone can tell me about these or any photos anyone can post so i know what im looking at.

i want to know as much as i can learn about these machines to know wheather it is worth pursuing the idea of purchasing the machine,

Any thoughts welcome 🙂

Thanks
    Dan

charlie
    Keymaster

Dan, Brockhouse bought BMB in the 1940’s. BMB imported Simplicity two wheeled garden tractors from America and sold them in the UK as, Hoemate, Cultmate and Plowmate. Early Hoemate had a Brockhouse Spryt 2 stroke engine.

stuart
    Participant

Search this forum Dan as I posted some pics of my BMB Hoemate a while ago.Theres a pic of the engine too.They have an Amal carburettor and Wico magneto.Also the governor system is a little “strange” on them compared to other English engines like Villiers,JAP and BSA etc etc.Let us know how you get on.

arikispencer
    Participant

Thanks for the help both, you were certainly right when you said it was a BMB, it however has no bonnet nor the alloy front cowl… how hard are these to find/fabricate?

another question i have to ask is what is their tyre size, they are pneumatic ones…

also did the little spryt engine ever have a cowl? could one of you provide me with a couple of the photos please,

a rough estimate of value based on no bonnet or cowl, unknown engine condition, does turn over and has 3 implements in good condition with only surface rust.

thanks,
    Dan

stuart
    Participant

Yes the engine most definitely has a cowling otherwise it would not be cooled.The cowling is made from sheet aluminium (not cast).

arikispencer
    Participant

i should have thought of that i guess, well it would seem that the machine im looking at is also missing the engine cowl worst luck, and im also guessing that finding one might be a touch on the difficult side especially over here in AUS.

aluminium and not just mild steel, thats a little different in itself.

thanks for you help,
    Dan

stuart
    Participant

Im sure you could fabricate an engine cowling.Maybe even cut up and modify an easily found steel cowling like from a Villiers,JAP,Briggs and Stratton,or Techumseh engine ?? At least with steel its easily welded (or personally I would bronze weld it as it makes a much nicer and neater job).

arikispencer
    Participant

yes that would probably be the best option i have quite a number of spare villiers engine cowls.
    i would however require a good set of photos of an original cowl to work towards..

further to the engine cowl i also require photos with measurements or even a pattern of the pannel work and front cowl photos in an effort to replicate it as the machine were looking at is missing all tin work

Thanks,
    Dan

stuart
    Participant

My Hoemate is unfortunately buried in my fathers storage container otherwise I could of taken some measurements for you.Im sure another Hoemate owner on here will be able to help you Dan.

arikispencer
    Participant

Thanks Stuart,

Yes when it comes to the time to do something with it i will certainly jump on here to get what i need to fabricate those parts.

we have the same problem, we have just over 70 hoes now and when ya want the one in the back of the shed its a bit of a nuisance. And a couple of barrel mowers have just turned up, and then theres everything else and suddenly it becomes a big job to get the machine out that you want.

Thanks,
    Dan

arikispencer
    Participant

Hi all,

Bit of an update for yas,
    Well we won the auction on ebay and now own a BMB Hoe mate, gave the fella a call and asked if he has the bonnet, guards and cowl for the engine, long story short he has no idea and when we go to collect we have to take extra money just in case we like something else the fella has, he has allot of small engines (villiers, JAP) etc, so we will probably end up bringin a large load home with us.

Thanks for the help with this i will keep you updated with what we do drag home from the fella 🙂
    Dan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.