Converting Ransomes MG5 to hydraulic three point linkage…

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Converting Ransomes MG5 to hydraulic three point linkage…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

I’ve got a Ransomes MG5 which I’m about to put a hydraulic three point linkage on for skidding out coppice. Does anybody have an MG6 owners manual/spares manual with exploded diagrams of the detail of the pump/pto/lift arm details… Looking at The Luddite at http://www.theluddite.com/mg5.html and also RansomesMGmagic at – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlQqeerAMoQ got inspired to use a Ransomes MG5 to extract chestnut from our 20 acre wood… The photos show the bits I’ve got to date, require a few gaskets, bearings and screws, but need to see if I’m missing any thing else..? Any help gratefully received…. Thanks. Best wishes, Derek

Attachments:
    ransomes256
    Participant

Derek,
    I have never seen this done but guess it is entirely possible with some extreme work.
    The biggest stumbling blocks are that the rear panel of the MG5 chassis is integral whereas the MG6 is removable although you may be able to leave the back in place and just remove the lift pulley bracket etc. and attach the MG6 plate at the rear.
    Second concern is that the MG6 is longer than the MG5 so the PTO shaft will not fit. Not sure on best method to shorten the shaft and retain operational integrity. The outer tube should be easier to shorten along with the control rod.
    You will need to relocate the MG5 petrol tank from under the seat to allow mounting of the hydraulic pump set. I doubt there will be sufficient space to fit the MG6 square fuel tank as the machine is shorter.
    When completed you will need to be careful as the shorter tractor may have more tendency to tip as you will have less counterbalance from the engine and may need to add a weight to the front bumper.
    Good luck with the build.

Neil

expeatfarmer
    Participant

A lot of machining work required Derek and substantial cost. Why not swap the clutch housing cover for a pulley type ( Neil Jarrett ) and fit a dynamo which you could then use to drive an electric winch through a battery, if you fit a dynostarter you will also get the benefit of electric start and your machine remains virtually original, alternatively you could sell your 5 and with the cost of the parts needed to convert it buy an MG6 .
    Never the less it would make a challenging and interesting project if you do decide on the conversion.

vhgmcbuddy

Don’t think I would have paid £450 for a hydraulic 3 point linkage, if anyone wants to pay £500 Ive got one and I’ll chuck in some link arms free of charge !!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.