Clifford mk1 started fine, now won't re-start

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Clifford mk1 started fine, now won't re-start

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Put back together this 1956 Clifford after much cleaning, work on magneto, several replaced parts including the engine from a donor (1955) machine (still needs painting). It started on third try and ran fine albeit at slightly high revs. It did chuck out a bit of smoke and black liquid from the exhaust, but not suprising perhaps as it has not run for many years. My problem is that it now won’t re-start (seems to be flooding – spark plug is quite wet). The timing is fine, I’ve checked the points and the spark is still very good. Before I strip it all down again are there some things I could try? Also i was advised by some to use a straight 30 oil to mix with the petrol, is the oil in picture ok? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

I would thoroughly recheck the timing , it seems from your description that it may well have slipped.
    That oil should be fine.

Andy.

stuart
    Participant

Remove the crankcase drain screw (there are actually 2 of them but you only need remove one) to drain the excess fuel mixture in the crankcase.I remove the screw on the magneto side crankcase half and then tip the machine forwards.You may find it a bit fiddly to remove and refit these drain screws but it has to be done as the engine will never start because its flooded with fuel.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Andy and Stuart. The timing really does seem to be fine. Really glad to hear there are drain screws, i had wondered about that as flooding really did seem to be the cause. Got one undone easily and about an egg cup full or so came out. Will try to start it again tomorrow.
    The only adjustment on the carb seems to be where the throttle cable enters the carb, is this just used to take up any slack in the cable or does it have any other function?

charlie
    Keymaster

The carb jet is set by the screw at bottom of float chamber. As it ran OK initially I would leave this alone. Does fuel flood from carb? If so the float may have a hole in it causing it to sink and not close needle valve as it should. Engine manual should give details of carb.

stuart
    Participant

The Villiers “Lightweight” carburettor needle in the middle of the slide is adjustable by the small brass screw on top of the slide.Screwing it in weakens the mixture and screwing it out richens the mixture.Adjust the needle so that the length exposed at the bottom of the slide is 2 3/8″ (two and three eighths of an inch).This is the standard factory setting.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Stuart. I will look at the needle length tomorrow. It did start and run fine three times today, but still refuses to re-start straight away after stopping it. The needle keeps getting stuck too in a high revs position and the slider can be really hard to get out, so think I will strip the carb down again tomorrow or try the spare one. Thanks for all the suggestions.

charlie
    Keymaster

Give the slide a good clean before altering any jet settings. With slide removed from carb check it moves freely when throttle lever is moved.

vhgmcbuddy

Just like to say thanks Andy, Stuart and Charlie for all the good advice as usual.
    I did everything you all suggested and it turned out that the timing had not slipped, but that the arrows on the flywheel and crankcase do not accurately set it. In doing it manually the arrows are now about an inch or so apart when the piston is TDC.
    I am glad to say it now starts first pull every time, so thank you.

Now on to the next question if I may – Is there a drain plug for the tiller oil? I have found the one for the clutch oil (and have drained and replaced that oil), but I cannot find one for the tiller section. I can see the filler plug for this, but not a drain plug. Any ideas?

stuart
    Participant

It may be that the filler plug is also used as a drain plug (which would mean removing the tiller assy and turning it upside down for the oil to drain).The correct amount and specification of oil to replenish it would be given in the machines owners manual.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.