Bristol crawler renovation

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Bristol crawler renovation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tractormike
    Participant

This is my first post, so please make allowances.
    I have been offered a Bristol Europa crawler loader as a renovation “project”. I have never attempted anything like this in my entire life, but it has always been a dream of mine to own and use some sort of crawler. It presents a lot of hurdles, not the least of which is my inexperience. To counter this, I have the support of a very experienced tractor service engineer, who has agreed to be my mentor (or perhaps tor-mentor).
    But before I commit to the project, I have been investigating issues that could prove show-stoppers at worst, or a darned nuisance at best. I have not had the best of success, and I am posting on this forum in the hope that someone knows the answer (or knows someone else who may be able to assist).
    What am I dealing with?
    A Bristol Europa, Tractor number 10549, which last ran around 20 years ago, when it was half driven, half-dragged to its current location (one track was working, the other was stuck – Steering Clutch??). It has since ‘rested’ in the open.
    My first issue is getting it to my home. I need to know how heavy it is, so I can arrange the appropriate lifting and transport kit. I thought that the best place to find its weight would be one of the manuals. That led to my second issue. What manuals? So far, the only one I have been able to obtain is the Parts manual for the ANGLEDOZER/DUPLEX/EUROPA MODEL PD. From this manual I have concluded that most of the parts in these models are the same (different parts for different models are specifically noted in the text). I am at present trying to obtain the Operators manual for the PD model (That is the nearest I can get). I have tracked one down in New Zealand.
    If I can gain some documentation, I would then go on to seek “advice/hints/tips”, etc from others who have trodden a similar path. In my investigations I have sought out Forums (fora?) and registers. Not much luck there. The British Construction Equipment Forum has a specific Bristol thread which looked very promising, but when I tried to register, I was informed that “registration has been disabled by the administrator”. I also sought out a register of Bristol tractors (I already have the Tractor number, so I thought it would be a good place to start). I found one which covered just the Bristol 10. Its curator, Jeff Steed, kindly pointed me in the direction of an individual who ran the register for the Bristol 20 up to the end of the line. Unfortunately, when I contacted them, I learnt that he had sadly passed away this January – another COVID victim.
    The final issue (at least for now) is that of spares and how to get them. I was hoping that, had I been able to make some contacts via the Forum and/or the register, I could get some idea of the ease (or not) with which they could be obtained. But with no luck in my search for contacts, this is also proving somewhat of an obstacle.
    I seemed to be running out of options, so I roamed the net and found this site. The Europa hardly fits into the category of Garden and Horticultural machinery, but this is an active group and I wondered if there were members who, if they were not directly experienced, might know someone who is and would be willing to set me on the straight and narrow.
    So, if anyone out there is willing to share their knowledge and experiences, I would be most grateful.
    TractorMike

crawler
    Participant

Hello Mike
    I have not been on much lately so only just read this. I can’t help with much info on the Europa, the Crawler Tractor Scrapbook part one only mentions it briefly. The Europa looks to have been made between 1960 and 1964. It is described as having a 3 cylinder 32bhp engine, four bottom rollers on each track, 155″ long, 61″ wide with 12″ wide tracks. If fitted with an overloader it will weigh 10252lbs (4.65 tonnes). Bristol seemed to like the overloader idea, it was a front loading shovel that could lift the bucket right up and discharge to the rear of the tractor.
    There is a table where the Europa is listed as PD series so they may have some common parts.
    If the Europa is similar to the PD it will have hand operated steering clutches for each track and foot operated steering brakes.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Post some pictures if you can as I would be interested to see one.
    Regards
    Rob

wristpin
    Participant

The British Construction Equipment Forum has a specific Bristol thread which looked very promising, but when I tried to register, I was informed that “registration has been disabled by the administrator”.

Only just seen this. I think that you will find that Forum is to all intents defunct. Most of the active members have moved to Plant Talk. planttalk.co.uk

tractormike
    Participant

Here are a couple of pictures. As you can see, it is going to be quite a challenge just to get started!!!

TractorMike

Attachments:
    urbanalfa
    Participant

Looks like a fantastic project.

Aside from transport have you got suitable storage and working space for a machine as large as this? I would hope that being parked up outside hasn’t done too much damage, but as you start taking it apart it will take more space to store and be more susceptible to weather damage if stored outside in pieces rather than as a whole.

tractormike
    Participant

That is one of the issues I have. When (if) I bring it home, it will have to stay where it is put until I can get it started and moving. So i am looking to lay down some solid surface prior to the delivery. That surface will be capable of supporting a structure that will (a) keep it dry, (b) have enough space to work and (c) support some form of lifting mechanism for the assembly/disassembly of the beast as I progress. I have an area of our property in mind for this structure, but first i need the agreement of the boss………….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.