Briggs and Stratton running issues.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Briggs and Stratton running issues.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi all,
    Still having trouble getting my Briggs ZZ engined Trusty running properly.
    It starts well, ticks over smoothly, revs up nicely and high speed running is smooth, BUT, as soon as the throttle is closed again, it runs slower and slower until it stalls, and no amount of fiddling with throttle or choke will save it. I’ve fiddled around with the needle settings and the idle speed to no avail. I’m now stumped! Anyone have any ideas?.
    Thanks,
    Joe.

wristpin
    Participant

Two questions. You say that it revs up and runs smoothly but is that under working load? When it fades how long is it before it will start again?

joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi Angus,
    This is just running light, space is a bit tight, so I want to get it running right before trying to drive it, don’t want to get it stuck in an awkward place! After it has died, it needs to be left for a couple of minutes, then it’ll fire straight up.

wristpin
    Participant

Sounds as though it may be using fuel faster than it is replenished from the tank; my guess is that if you put it under a working load it would falter. May be worth checking the fuel flow where the feed pipe meets the carb. Disconnect the pipe and watch the flow into a suitable container for at least a minute. If it starts to slow down remove the filler cap . If that makes a difference check the breather. After that check right through from the tank filter/exit and the fuel pipe.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Thanks Angus,
    When I get a chance, I will have a look at the above. I also have my doubts about how well the float needle is working, as the carb drips fuel from the overflow when the engine is not running, so it obviously is not sealing properly, so maybe it is sticking as well.
    Joe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.