Brass Cleaning

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Brass Cleaning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    will-haggle
    Participant

Has anyone got any good tips on cleaning brass, I’m cleaning up some corroded sprayers….

wristpin
    Participant

Not wishing to be facetious but perhaps the answer is don’t !
    Received wisdom is that making them all bright and shiny detracts from both their value and collectibility .
    But each to his own!

charlie
    Keymaster

A difficult one to answer and know what is right. I have often wondered how shiny they would have been when new, did they have a protective lacquer of some sort? But if they are badly corroded and dirty then some cleaning will be required, I suppose the ideal would be something that can remove the dirt and corrosion without too much polishing.

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ll stick with doing the minimum, especially not too much rubbing…

vhgmcbuddy

Many of the brass sprayer I get are in covered in a dark gunge – that’s how I buy cheap! I have occasionally brushed on brick acid to remove thick mess, but quickly wiped it off before it causes damage to the metal. It’s quite effective and time saving. Most of the time I use polishing mops and paste on a bench grinder. You do have to take care with the manufacturers names plates as the harsher pastes can rapidly cause wear!!

Finer grade wire is also useful.

I do not use polishes like Brasso etc as the brass appears to revert back to dull very quickly. Brass also reverts back very quickly the more it is exposed to external elements (so they stay in my shed).

My view is that as most of my acquisitions are in a mess, I clean them back to original but they will ultimately dull down naturally. I am not going to then spend my life continually re-polishing. They will have to develop a natural patina but without being exposed to chemicals and the open elements.

Not everyone will agree but that’s broadly how I work.

charlie
    Keymaster

Steve that sounds a sensible approach, get them clean then let them develop a natural old look.

hillsider
    Participant

I guess tank size could be a problem when cleaning long items but have you considered trying an ultrasonic cleaner as sold by Maplin etc they work brilliantly on carburettor bodies and brass jets but I have not tried cleaning a large piece of brass yet, if I can find a suitable test piece I shall give it try for you and report back.
    The manual that came with my tank suggests that when cleaning larger items that are not covered by the fluid you can do one half first then turn the piece over so that could be an answer for cleaning syringes.

charlie
    Keymaster

We use a sonic tank at work for cleaning ceramic rollers used in the print process, the tank is long enough for them and they are placed on a mechanism that rotates them in the tank. Not suitable for ali as the solution is caustic.

will-haggle
    Participant

Thanks for the info, some of mine are quite nasty….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.