Barford Atom Trailer

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Barford Atom Trailer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    farmer
    Participant

I have purchased a Barford Atom trailer chassis. I need your help and assistance if you will. I enclose a photo of the chassis. It has a broken fitting in the centre. A tube maybe went vertically up from this point. What function did it perform? What are its dimensions.

Also I don’t see how the break was operated by the driver.

The worst is to come. The wheelbarrow type wheels are rotten. They differ from barrow wheels in having proper roller bearings. Therefore barrow wheels would be a poor substitute. Are these wheels available today? Are there any suitable substitutes, have you any for sale?

Any help, pictures, dimensions would be much appreciated. I live in South Yorkshire if an owner would allow me to view their trailer.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Farmer

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

You have the chassis of a rear mounting dump trailer see photo below of mine. The brake is very crude and not much more than a parking brake with the metal pad rubbing on the tyre, it is applied by pressing heel down on the bar, it then locks under the mechanism on the post which is missing from yours. If it is not raining tomorrow I will get some more photos and dimensions of the missing post etc. The tipping body is the same as the front mounting barrow, see extract from sales leaflet below.

Attachments:
    farmer
    Participant

Thanks Charlie. I wasn’t aware of the dump trailer existing. I now see how the brakes would work. With the information you are to send I should be able to restore it. The wheels and dump tub will be the difficult bits.

charlie
    Keymaster

Photos of dump trailer. I will make up some drawings with dimensions.

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.