Attempted break in

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Attempted break in

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

Now that it’s coming dark very early there appears to be, certainly where I am located, a lot more thieving going on.

Last night (Monday) at some unknown time and under cover of a very wild and stormy night when nobody was about, somebody attempted to break into the building where quite a bit of my machinery is stored. Due to increased yet albeit amateurish security measures they didn’t manage to actually get into the building but did mangle the doors a bit with crowbars, I like to think they were total peed off that they’d been foxed.

Today I have made sure that if they did get entry then they’ll have a challenge getting anything out.

I suppose this is a reminder that we shouldn’t be complacent and should take security seriously.

A few things I did a while ago were to make sure I had all the serial numbers of the machines and engines and everything is also marked in obvious and hidden places. Also simple things like removing transport wheels from machines and also fixing machines to something hard to move makes it a bit more difficult for thieves. I know it’s a bit of a pain but to me it’s worth it.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Alan. Pity there are so many dishonest people out there.

My machines are stored in a steel motorcycle garage and are all chained together.

It wouldn’t be impossible to nick them but, like you i think it would make things difficult for them.

My worst nightmare is arson.

alan
    Participant

Happy to hear that you have your machines fastened down really well. Making it difficult to steal stuff is probably one of the ways to at least try and safeguard our machines.

The thieves were picked up on CCTV at 3:30am. Out in stormy weather and 40mph+ wind at that time trying to steal stuff! Someone said to me that these thieves should try and put as much effort into getting a proper job!

charlie
    Keymaster

Alan it just shows you never know who is about or when, glad to hear they failed. In addition to noting serial numbers etc it might be worth using a security marking system such as Selecta DNA which can help identify recovered parts should a machine be broken for spares.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.