ATCO 14 Inch Cyclinder Mower 1959 / 60

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects ATCO 14 Inch Cyclinder Mower 1959 / 60

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

Totally agree with the last post – if the valves are not right you can fiddle (polite version) around with the ignition and carb till the cows come home and achieve little. I know that it requires a little more effort but it’s time well spent and if you know that they are right it is one thing that definitely definitely can’t be the cause of your problem.
    Would you build a house without foundations?
    I quote again – “Technicians who are valve critical will always have a better record of repair success than those who take a near enough approach”

vhgmcbuddy

went to borrow a valve seat grinder and when I got it home it was to large. drat !!!!! so out with the lapping stick and paste. nice new recut seats etc. the bore was given a small deglaze as it was not as bad as I have seen but while the head was off I gave it a do. Also have ordered some carb repair bits from George at V Parts so we should very soon have this little engine ship shape and Villiers fashion

vhgmcbuddy

Paint has arrived and its been matched from a sample donated by Angus (Wristpin ) many thanks angus for that. paint code will follow shortly for all those going to restore a atco or two for next years shows. Also have got some more engine paint and having steam cleaned well the Mk 7 engine it now supports a fresh coat of the paint which I use where I can just to give the engine that NEW LOOK.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

looking good john 😀

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Nigel, Now I have here for all ATCO restorers the paint code for old ATCO GREEN. These numbers do not mean anything to me ,but if these are produced to a paint mixer of good repute and standing will get you the final colour. 1202007813 . I got this in Mastercraft polyurethane. our thanks go to ANGUS [ WRISTPIN ]

vhgmcbuddy

Quick update on the paint. Have now painted the engine cowl,petrol tank and engine base plate. and the match is spot on. Must admit under flouresent light and trying to take flash photos,a strange phenonomen happens, the green looks pink on the photos. well I cannot post those so when the first opportunity arises i.e. sunshine, will take it ouside and take some in natural light.

vhgmcbuddy

engine now well on its way to being finished. have discovered that if I keep a good distance from the item to be photographed the item is green rather than pink. now if you have not been following this thread you will think I am cracking up or have been drinking heavily with this last statement,but to put the record straight have had issues with camera in flouresent light.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Very smart, looking nice and green now John.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes owen,green is the way to go on these little mowers. this paint which I use is very versatile because no matter what the weather,one way or another you can get it on whether you spray or brush. brushing is my preferred method as you can get more on in a shorter time span. managed to get this chaincase covered today. the shine is so intense you can see me in it taking the photo.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

busy day ,started at 3.30 am. lots of tasks completed and have managed to make some more progress on this project. cyclinder needs another coat of paint,just in case you are thinking I have missed it.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

That chaincase looks good John, I must try it some time.

vhgmcbuddy

I only stumbled on the paint by pure chance Owen. I was told that sample pots where for sale after the paints had been developed for old buses,trams and commercial vehicles which also included steam engines. I went down to see what colours they had and they where wall to wall in half lire tins. from then on I will not go anywhere else.

martin-ellison
    Participant

where did you get it john was it expensive mower looking good

vhgmcbuddy

martin. the paint was £ 10 per litre,whether its spray or brush on. what I do is get it brush mixture and then if needed you can thin and spray

vhgmcbuddy

have received the gaskits from George at Villiers parts today and have fitted without delay. also treated the machine to a new fuel line . moment of truth,will it start ? yes it works and it only needs two revolutions of the engine to break into life.have spoken to Titch about grafics,and he knows exactly whats needed to complete. also added this video,its short and sweet.
    http://youtu.be/mJ12z5A9OHQ err not sure whats not happened but will look into it. sorry all.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.