Aluminium corrosion / rust.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Aluminium corrosion / rust.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

Think that you’re right about red and white lead being prohibited now but should still be OK to use oakum and pitch to caulk the planking joints!

hillsider
    Participant

You are correct about using Okum and Pitch to caulk timbers but don’t think it would be much use as an anti seize paste.

vhgmcbuddy

Ive cleaned the spindle holders, a Mate let me have some Pro rust to try , it got the loose bits of. When cleaning I noticed the worst damage was the sides subject to the full force of the grass being thrown at them, the other sides being sheltered not to bad. See photos 1 and 2, with this in mind it would have been an idea to turn them around a few years back. Coated 2 and 3 holders with etch primmer and will over paint with hammerite. No 1 will get a smearing of grease, end of this season I will see whats going on under their. I recon this being a side discharge No 1 holder wouldn’t get the blast but 2 and 3 on the one side would get the waxoyl I used blasted off with grass.

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

I don’t wish to upset you here but the housing shown in image 3 appears to have severe wastage of the Aluminium casting, some of those pitted areas must be near or over 50% of their original thickness and given the nature of the decay I would be wondering if there is enough strength left in the housing to support the blade when under load.

The general rule for material wastage on steelwork, bolts and components etc was 10% maximum when I was last involved in mechanical inspections.
    Ray.

vhgmcbuddy

That’s OK Ray, I can see your concerns. The photos are of the same holder, so it’s got a bad side and a good side. I thought it would hold but I’m not so sure now, the bearings are good with no play and it won’t be subject to any rough work. I will keep it checked.

hillsider
    Participant

That’s ok, But I think it would not be a bad idea to keep a lookout for another deck to perhaps salvage a spare housing from if you intend to keep the machine in work.
    It seems that although aluminium is very corrosion resistant if it does suffer it suffers badly.
    Ray.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Ray, I have a spare 42″ deck rear discharge with good holders that I could fit right on the Wheel Horse. But seeing I don’t pick the grass up the 42″ side discharge blows it about better, so I had a look at it today and could swap the complete units over. I will see how the season goes.

vhgmcbuddy

This is a photo of the spindle holder with two coats of paint over the etch primmer, will take a photo end of season to see if it was worth doing.

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.