Allen Scythe access to clutch

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen Scythe access to clutch

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rowan-bradley
    Participant

The dog clutch on my Allen Scythe seems to have jammed. To get access to this I guess that I have to remove the Axle Guard, which is fitted on my machine. How do I do this? Do I have to remove the wheel? I hope not, since I gather from chat about this machine that this can be a tad difficult.

Thank you – Rowan

charlie
    Keymaster

I am not familiar with the internal workings of Allen Scythe but I do have an instruction manual with parts list in my literature collection. Looking at the illustration on page 25 it would appear the clutch mechanism on the model T is inside the gearbox, see photo below.
    If you send me a personal message with your e mail address I can email the full manual to you.

Attachments:
    rowan-bradley
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I have the manual too, but I find it difficult from the drawings provided to see exactly where the dog clutch is. I will attempt to take the top of the gearbox off, if this proves not too difficult. Does anyone know whether there should be a gasket between the top and bottom of the gearbox? What material should it be made from? Does anyone sell them? Or can I get one made for me? Does anyone have a CAD file for the gasket?

Thank you – Rowan

charlie
    Keymaster

The dog clutch consists of parts 372 and 374 operated by 382 which slides 374 in and out of mesh with 372.

rowan-bradley
    Participant

Yes, I get that, but can you please explain which bits are inside the gearbox and which outside? Presumably the operating rod must enter the gearbox via some kind of oil seal or gland? Part of my trouble is that my machine is fitted with the axle guards which means that I can’t see any of this.

Thanks – Rowan

charlie
    Keymaster

Yes you will need to remove the guards to see what you want.

rowan-bradley
    Participant

To do that, do I need to remove the wheels? Or can the guards be removed without removing the wheels in some way (without destroying them)?

Thanks – Rowan

rowan-bradley
    Participant

I have concluded that I need to remove the wheel. The current challenge is to remove the gib key. I am going to try using a wedge under the head of the key, and if that doesn’t work, I’m going to make a special puller. Lots more fun!

Thanks – Rowan

kevm
    Participant

You don’t need to remove the wheel and getting the gib key out could be a whole lot of unnecessary hassle.
    Just remove the guard and clean up the clutch mechanism there is not a lot that can go wrong with the actual dog clutch inside the gearbox.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.