1974 Briggs and Stratton 10hp

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion 1974 Briggs and Stratton 10hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

I have recently been away and acquired a new but old stock 10hp Briggs & Stratton electric start engine dated 1974, it still has the maintenance and warranty tag attached. I’m sure there are many other unused engines stashed away in various sheds or business premises, but I thought I would buy this one as it is distinctive in the gold-type paintwork and may be useful on display at a show.

The engine has a sticker that states ‘Dual Circuit Alternator’. I’m unsure what the engine would be destined for but I’d guess a ride-on mower. The choke linkage is also independent of the throttle.

Mr Trusty220 was present when I got the engine, he witnessed a Yorkshireman spending folding money!

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

“Mr Trusty220 was present when I got the engine, he witnessed a Yorkshireman spending folding money!” Photos please or it didn’t happen!!!

alan
    Participant

I think we need a sworn affidavit from Trusty220!

trusty220
    Keymaster

In the words of Max Boyce, “I WAS THERE!”

Mind you, I think Alan’s sickening for something as he didn’t even haggle! (Sorry, Alan!).

alan
    Participant

I made the first offer and the seller readily accepted so there was no haggling to be done, if Yorkshire-style haggling had been involved then I’d have ended up with the engine for £2.50. But I’ve now frightened myself thinking that I offered too much and I’ve given away precious funds! Next time I venture southwards I’m going to be very wary!

wristpin
    Participant

The engine has a sticker that states ‘Dual Circuit Alternator’. I’m unsure what the engine would be destined for but I’d guess a ride-on mower. The choke linkage is also independent of the throttle.

The Dual Circuit alternator has a two pin connector , one pin is rectified to DC for battery charging the other AC for lighting. If it follows the usual identification the connector is white and it’s cables are red for DC and black for AC. Early style have the same colour code for the wires but individual sockets mounted on a small bracket.

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.