Wolseley 348 Ride-on-mower

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Wolseley 348 Ride-on-mower

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

I have acquired this Wolseley machine minus it’s long-forgotten-rotted-away mower deck.

I’ve never seen one before and haven’t found any adverts about them. Sadly there’s little point restoring this machine. But some info I’ve gathered in case anyone else stumbles across this on the internet in search of similar info:

From the ‘Sports Turf Research Institute 1974’:

” The 348 Ride-on mower from Wolseley Engineering Ltd. Electric Avenue, Witton, Birmingham, is the largest model in a range of four such machines recently introduced. There are optional items available for the machine including a grass catcher, a 32″ (81cm) spike aerator and a 30″ drum roller. A rear mounted 8hp Briggs and Stratton engine provides the power and transmission via a gearbox giving a selection of four forward speeds and reverse by gear lever mounted on the control console. Forward speeds range up to 6.5mph. Other features include electric key ignition starting, safety interlock, automotive type differential on rear wheels, rack and pinion steering, disc brakes and a “set and lock” parking brake. 11 in. x 4in (28cm x 10cm) semi-pneumatic tyres are fitted to the front wheels”

According to 70YOGM it dates from approx the late 1970’s although I have found the above reference to them as early as 1974. As far as I know and looking at the original paint it would have been gold-coloured all over, the green paint is certainly hand-painted at a later date. The engine on it is a later replacement (so can’t date machine from that), the only difference being that this has a pull start and the original was electric start.

The front tyres don’t have much clearance under the chassis, it also has vague steering. This was certainly a mower for the level lawn.

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

I believe that their tractor shaped one was built by MTD so it’s possible that this one was also sourced from the same manufacturer. Presume that there is no serial number anywhere.

vhgmcbuddy

looks the same as an old red mtd i had once

vhgmcbuddy

I had a Murray 30″ longer ago that looked a bit like that, Think that was 10hp.

alan
    Participant

Thanks for all the info, I think the Wolseley is probably based on an MTD design as you all suggest- I’d never have thought of looking at MTD for a similar model. I did find something from a similar era badged MTD/Lawn Flite a few minutes ago.

The machine is built on a chassis and the bodyshell can be changed for another design/manufacturer/brand if so wished, so looks like it could have been a universal design.

Serial number is missing but the sticker is there partially painted over, also the gearbox number (MOD 515, Peerless 32780408) which is of little use but I’ll post the photo for anyone else’s future reference.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.