What is it?

Home Forums General Help and information What is it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

This machine was recently given to me. I understand it is a Clifford rotavator. Its been in a shed unused for the last 26 years and had worked fine up until that point. Anyone know which model it is? Would it be a relatively easy/worthwhile restoration project? Thought I might tackle it over the winter.

charlie
    Keymaster

benjamin you need to resize photo files as they are too big, software such as shrinkpic will do the job and is free.

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry I couldn’t work out how to shrink files. However I have worked out the machine is a mk1 clifford rotovator. I am stripping it down as it’s been unused for 25 years and moisture has got in. Here (hopefully) is a pic of the flywheel/magneto. The points and coil look fairly corroded, should I give up now or is it worth trying to clean the up or try and find a replacement. Any help gratefully received.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Benjamin, if the engine turns then it would be worth restoring, you may need new coil, points and condenser for the magneto if water has got in. First job would be to remove flywheel then strip and clean magneto, especially areas such as where coil attaches to back plate. Then reassemble, set points and fit flywheel so you can spin it over to see if you get a spark.
    If engine is seized then it will be more work.

vhgmcbuddy

Did manage to get the flywheel off which looks rough, but the components inside don’t look too bad after cleaning. The back plate however is corroded and even a small hole in it + the engine is seized and I cannot get the plug out – Perhaps a donor engine is in order if I can find one!
    Thanks for your advice Charlie.

andyfrost
    Participant

25C engines are not overly difficult to source , there are some at present on that well known auction site , all ignition components are readily available new , so you should not have too many problems.
    Personally , I would say it is definately a worthwhile project.

Andy.

will-haggle
    Participant

Here’s an advert for the Mk1…..

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

…and the bottom section….

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy
    andyfrost
    Participant

It would have done , one piece of advice I always offer is “bide your time” , one will turn up somewhere or other.

Andy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.