Westwood T1100 recognition.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Westwood T1100 recognition.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi, I am new to vhgmc and I am hoping someone with knowledge of early Westwoods will help me roughly identify or age a sit on that has just come my way via ebay for renovation. I can,t find any model or series plates under the seat or under the bonnet. the same applies to the Briggs & S engine though I might see the marking on the engine after de-greasing. The bonnet is orange, plain (no raised boxes) with square edges it is locked down by an over the centre sprung clip. Black front grill with headlights. There is a black spare petrol tank mounted between driver legs. I have had a look at my neighbours Westwood which looks almost the same but has no bonnet clip, no headlights, no spare tank. I notice his tractor has rounded control knobs where as my one has square knobs. I am hoping by approximately ageing the tractor I can look at a parts list for parts recognition. Thanks in anticipation

diyeric.

will-haggle
    Participant

Briggs and Stratton engines have a date in the engine number. This is a link to their site where you can de-code your engine number. http://briggsstratton.guided.ss-omtrdc.net/?q=*&do=faq It is stamped into the cowling….

Attachments:
    stuart
    Participant

It will be mid 1980,s.Providing its still the original engine fitted (or cooling cowl fitted) then its easy to date the engine as the reply above.

vhgmcbuddy
    vhgmcbuddy

Still haven’t found the engine number on the side of the cowling, it might be hidden by the petrol tank that raps itself around one side of the engine or hidden by the air filter on the opposite side. Engine is as shown in the early 1980’s parts lists and diagrams.

I have tried to establish a specific year from the parts list/diagrams by looking for simple changes in design like how the dash board lights are mounted. Change from shaped petrol tank engine mounted to square bulk head tank mounted by the side of the battery, but I guess the Westwoods design developed continually between years and I won’t be able to pin point a year until I find that all important number and as mentioned replacement parts or mods could have been installed. All of your suggestions and links have been very helpful.
    Thank you all for your help.
    Eric.

stuart
    Participant

The engine model,type and code numbers should be stamped at the front of the cowl (just above the spark plug).If its had a new cowl fitted in the past then there will be NO numbers stamped on it at all.
    The 11hp B&S engine is i think a 25cui (25 cubic inch capacity) engine so your model number stamped on the cowl should start with 25####
    The earlier models also had a down swept exhaust system (which runs down the LH side of the chassis) very much like a car uses.

vhgmcbuddy

I have found the area where the engine number should be but someone has ground the number away, but it still has the indentations on the underside of the metal, not quite readable.I would like to think the cowling has been taken from another engine as a replacement part and the numbers ground out to stop wrong identification of engine, but as the tractor recognition labels are also missing I have my doubts and learnt a lesson from my first attempt at renovating old machinery. I am now hoping that as the renovation progresses, a job for this coming winter any parts I need I can identify from the 1981 – 1985 parts diagrams. Thanks for your help once again.

Eric

vhgmcbuddy

Hi

It sounds like the machine you have is mid 1980’s Mine is 1988 Westwood like many others used bought in items, Engine, Gear box etc and these were not that frequently changed though later ones had Kawasaki engines even some Ruggerini Diesels and Kohler but within the basics Briggs and Strattons are reasonably simple units The real changess eem to have been with the Westwood bits Chassis fuel tank size and location Battery location general design as you say there was constant change. Ive got mine going it ain’t perfect but it works and still earns it keep 11 horse Gazelle no deck Nuffield red bonnet Fergie grey chassis side discharge Had a PTO pulley fitted but I couldn’t see where the belts would run too so maybe the Gear box wasn’t original Since swapped it out anyway as 5th gear was shot Gearboxes are the weak link it seems I have 3 now !! and removal of the rear wheels from the axle !!1

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.