Villiars

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    trac-grip-1954
    Participant

Bought somthing last weekend that i saw for sale on facebook here in cornwall, Its not a engine but it was made by villiers back in the late 1930’s
    its a twin burner petrol stove called the inferno, Had a look on line and they made a single burner stove aswell.

alan
    Participant

It’s interesting what some companies made. I recall that Huffy ride-on-mowers were (and still are) bike manufacturers and also made sewing machines. Husqvarna made all sorts including household and kitchen appliances including washing machines and cookers, and also motorbikes.

wristpin
    Participant

Follows and Bates who are best known for making lawnmowers, also made an orange slicer for marmalade making.

ianb
    Participant

I have attached a word document which is snippets and pics I have collected over time whilst researching for my book. You may have found this info on-line already but it is here for others who may be interested. If you decide to sell I would be interested, to add it to my Villiers collection. If you have or take any pics I would appreciate those to add to my library.

The single burner stove was called the Mar-Vil which is a little bonkers for those that know the engine of this name! The two burner was the Inferno and there was also a variant of it called the Farmer’s Glory.

I was amazed when I came across these products a while back and it made me wonder what else Villiers made. Originally they made bicycle gears and free-wheel hubs before engines. In the original factory they had a tool shop where they made all of their own tooling. They obviously did consultancy work and that took off and in the end they moved their tooling factory to a new site in Wednesfield and created a company called Villiers (Tool Developments) Ltd in the early 60s, renamed Viltool in 1966. They basically supported all of British Engineering and manufacturing, I have a Viltool company brochure which lists types of work and clients. The stoves must be 1930s onwards.

Attachments:
    trac-grip-1954
    Participant

Hello Ian Sorry its been so long, a few pictures of the stove

martin

Attachments:
    urbanalfa
    Participant

Interesting stove, Martin.

The design looks very similar to the American built Coleman camping stove that we have. Nearly 100 years on and the design has hardly evolved at all!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.