VICTA Self propelled 2

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Grass Cutting Machinery VICTA Self propelled 2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hortiman
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone is still using one of these Victa machines, as I have just aquired this excellent example. Ear defenders most necessary !

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

A rare beast looking in exceptionally good condition complete with the even rarer “coffee grinder starter”. When I started my business in 1981 they were almost extinct and when I retired in 2012 – non existent .
    Look after that one !

alan
    Participant

That looks a great machine!

Just today I have been writing up the models and history of Victa in the UK. I am surprised how many Victa models there were, even a twin-cylinder two-stroke model which was sold here in the late 1970s – need to find one of those now!

hortiman
    Participant

Hwllo Alan. We used to use a lot of Victa machines back in the 60s 70s, the twin cylinder 500 was brilliant when running well, but used to go ‘off song’ frequently, usually a whisker on one of the spark plugs, and they were very thirsty. The big 600 was a bit of a beast to push in long grass if ground was uneven, what a shame they did not market a self propelled version, that would have been a useful machine. Good luck with your research.

alan
    Participant

Hi Chris

I have looked through all the Victa info I have gathered and it looks like your model is a 2-stroke Commander model – it appears that the Commander was the top of the range that Victa did. I found a 1966 newspaper advert for the 4-stroke Commander and the black and white image looks the same as your model regarding the handles, height adjuster, grassbox, deck, etc.

Also, a 1979 advert for the 500-Twin model.

Alan

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by alan.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by alan.
    Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

Alan thank you for the info, I had not heard of a ‘Commander’ before but it looks to be same beast. The 4 stroke ones we used to use were ‘Corvette 4’, That is definitely the twin cylinder 500, it would be good to come across one of those, I imagine they were all thrown away in disgust ! My 2 stroke was new in 1963 according to supplied paperwork.
    Cheers
    Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.