Tyre Sizes

Home Forums General Help and information Tyre Sizes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

Many of the tyres on our old machines have two sizes on them, this can cause confusion. So what do they mean?
    Taking the tyres on a Monro Tiller as an example, they are marked 3.00 – 6 with 12×3 also appearing. 3.00 is the rim width and 6 is the wheel diameter. 12 is the overall diameter of the tyre and 3 is the width of the tyre.
    3.00-6 in modern metric size is equivalent to 75/100R6, where 100 is the cross section ratio of tyre height and width.
    I hope I have got this right and it is of some help.

charlie
    Keymaster

Just had a thought. It might be a good idea to build a list of machines and what size tyres they use. This would give a better idea of how common or not each size is and where tyres are interchangeable. To make a start I have listed a couple on the attached.

will-haggle
    Participant

When I bought my Anzani Motor Hoe, the tyre size was 12½ x 2¼”, I wondered where to get some. 2.25 x 8 is the rim size and looking around the web they were readily available! I am a voluntary bicycle mechanic at the Bikes For Africa charity and we were scrapping a lot of small childrens bikes, I found one with the right tyres (black ones with a fairly chunky tread) and for a donation, got them. I sold the Anzani and the tyres and tubes to go with it…

Attachments:
    oddhatuk
    Participant

This I think is a good explanation of tyre sizes

http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=8

All Terrain Tyres is an offshoot of Tyre Rite.

charlie
    Keymaster

Hugh that is an excellent link, covers just about every way tyre sizes have been and are given.

charlie
    Keymaster

Added a couple more to the list, if you have others to add please let me know.

will-haggle
    Participant

Hey Charlie, with a few more additions this will be a good filler for the Cultivator, I know a few more!

oddhatuk
    Participant

Thanks Charlie,

Your list will be a very useful reference, perhaps there should be a section on the forum for info such as this.

My Ransome C29 tool frame had 10 x 2 Dunlop tyres on the depth wheels, I think this is 4.00 – 6 in modern terms

charlie
    Keymaster

Alan, I was thinking the same, it will get the information to all members and hopefully prompt a few to add other sizes to give a more complete picture. Something that would be useful is an additional column with the modern equivalent size if available.
    Hugh 10×2 would be overall tyre diameter and width, 4.00-6 would be rim width and wheel diameter, so not sure it is correct, 2.00-6 would be more likely.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.