Trusty tractor no spark

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Trusty tractor no spark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

hi, new to the forum and need some help.

Me and my dad have just purchased a trusty tractor and it has no spark.

checked and cleaned the points but still no spark.

Are there anything else i can check before looking for a new ignition system?

Its a briggs and stratton zz engine.

Many thanks

joey

joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi Joey,
    I have the same engine on my Trusty and had the same problem.
    I’m afraid it is probably the coil that is kaput, but it would be worth getting it tested first, just to make sure.
    You cannot get new coils for the briggs engine, but they can be re-wound. Private message me if you want contact details for magneto rebuilds.

Joe.

sidevalve44
    Participant

There’s a chap in Idaho who deals in obsolete B&S parts. His name is Jim Freshman. email:- jim@aircooledengpts.com

I bought a new coil from him that B&S no longer make.

Might be worth a try.

Robert

vhgmcbuddy

How would I go about testing the cool.

Does this chap in Idaho ship to the uk?

charlie
    Keymaster

To test the coil properly you will need to find someone with a suitable tester, your local garden machinery repair centre may be able to help. Testing with an multi meter will only be able to identify open or short circuit, it will not show if there is low insulation which breaks down when coil is in use.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Joey,

Yes he does, although his online ordering page doesn’t cover shipments outside the US. Ask him for a quote for UK shipment, usually about $9.25.

Robert

pete0250
    Participant

I had trouble with a zz years ago and it seems the trouble was a slight oil leak from the crank seal which allowed oil onto the points. Might be worth checking. Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.