The Grassbox?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hdtrust
    Participant

Just walked in from work,opened the post to find the latest issue of Grass-box, the magazine of The Old Lawnmower Club, and guess what is on their front page! A Allen TS Scythe what part of that is a lawn mower? Have they run out of lawn!
    Hdtrust

hillsider
    Participant

The Allen Scythe may not be a lawn mower in the strictest sense but it it is old and it cuts grass.

hdtrust
    Participant

Well done Hillsider, no its definitely not a lawn mower,so what’s it doing on the front of the OLC’s magazine.
    Come again I’m old and rare, and I’m sure some would like me as a trophy as well!
    You might as well stick a Traction engine picture on the front of The Garden Machinery magazine as some were Fowler ploughing engines.

wristpin
    Participant

Well done Hillsider, no its definitely not a lawn mower,so what’s it doing on the front of the OLC’s magazine.
    Come again I’m old and rare, and I’m sure some would like me as a trophy as well!
    You might as well stick a Traction engine picture on the front of The Garden Machinery magazine as some were Fowler ploughing engines.

Calm down dear!
    Think that if you re-read his post, Hillsider is actually defending the use of the pic on the front cover of Grassbox!
    Live and let live, there’s enough strife in the world without squabbling over what is or isn’t a lawnmower!

charlie
    Keymaster

H D Trust is almost old and he cuts grass so that would make him a lawn mower ie someone that mows lawns.
    I can see where the argument lies, definition of a lawn mower and what the OLC cover as a club, is it only cylinder mowers or does it include finger bar mowers. To further complicate things the Allen scythe could be fitted with a cylinder mower, so to could a number of other garden machines such as Monro Tiller, Howard Bantam etc.
    I am glad our club has a much wider scope.

hillsider
    Participant

I think the text below that forms a part of the OLC profile of the Allen Scythe is a good enough reason for the Allen to be featured on the front of their magazine.

Quote:-
    The Allen Scythe is one of those odd machines that does not easily fit into a specific category. Although designed for cutting grass, the Allen Scythe was not a lawn mower in the strictest sense because its main use was to cut rough and long grass on verges and in fields, orchards and rough ground. Nonetheless, it does hold a special place in the history of the mower and many enthusiasts have an example in their collection.
    End of quote.

My thinking is that love it or loathe it the Allen Scythe is on of those machines that sits happily in two camps, Horticultural and Garden Machinery as far as collectors are
    concerned.

hdtrust
    Participant

The OLC was set up with the cylinder mower in mind, then later with the rotary.Allen scythe by definition are for cutting long grass not lawns, is the answer in the title!

I do hear that the OLC are having their 25th Anniversary next year, at this rate they will be expecting a deputation of Wheel Horses.

There annual auction is going to be reduced to 30 lots in the hope to get the quality up.
    Perhaps they will be auctioning Allen-scythes!

Hdtrust

vhgmcbuddy

They have run out of mowers to feature on the front cover as you seem to have them all in your cave!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.