Stoic land master

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Grass Cutting Machinery Stoic land master

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jamiechubb
    Participant

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a stoic land master mark 3 (I believe!) it’s self propelled from the rear right wheel. Runs like a dream but the rear right wheel is disintegrating. Also the chain slips off the rear cog intermittently making the self drive a pain. I’d dearly love to keep the old girl running. Any advice on where I can source a wheel from please? Or any ideas why the chain keeps coming off?

Be very grateful for all info regarding these mowers. Anyone got one or a suggestion as to where to get one for spares?

Many thanks
    Jamie

alan
    Participant

Hello Jamie

Excellent that you have a Stoic in running condition and plan on keeping it going for the foreseeable future.

I have been playing around with a Stoic this weekend, it had been languishing under rubbish in a building for many years and I decided to bring it home and get it running. It has obviously been a council owned mowing machine due to a fleet number, it has been worked hard and, like many other Stoics, has obviously stood up to all that has been thrown at it – even though the 3.5 hp B&S engine has been cobbled together from three other engines through time! They seem to be tough machines.

I have another Stoic in bits that was dismantled by a previous owner, there are some wheels and various spares, but it’s 200 miles away at the farm. I can check next month when I’m there.

hdtrust
    Participant

Yes the Stoic, I can remember from my apprentice days, made a good job on normal lengths of grass, but never try using one on thick grass in whip areas, or it will spend more time in the workshop than on the grass! To stop the engine having serious damage, there was a small aluminium slide pin that would shear on the flywheel, which would have to be swapped, a right pain, I can tell you, We even had a time for it, in our bonus books on the Council (somebody mention bonus!)

wristpin
    Participant

Briggs flywheel keys. From the 1983 Service Update Seminar. In standard form the Stoic had a carrier disc with three rigidly bolted blades.The carrier disc was fitted to the engine crank via a hub with two protective “Ferrodo” friction discs and clamped with a bellville washer.
    I believe that some commercial users replaced the disc with a bar blade that may have been borrowed from the Hayter parts bin.

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

It should drive on both rear wheels. With the chain running in line the sprocket should drive the solid axle running across the back of the machine and driving both wheels via sprag bearings pressed into their hubs. The sprag bearings grip the axle to propel the machine forward but allow it to be pulled back in use. If the cross axle is turning but the left hand wheel isn’t , either the sprag bearings ( two in each wheel) are shot or have been incorrectly fitted in the wheel . The bearings are an off the shelf item – not a specific Stoic part.

wristpin
    Participant

Going back to your first post and your search for Stoic parts, and in particular a rear wheel, there is a possible pitfall. There were three models of Stoic, 3.5hp push, 5hp push and what you have 4hp self-propelled ( power driven). So, if you are looking for a donor machine for a rear wheel , it needs to be a Self-propelled one so as to get the correct rear wheel which will incorporate two sprag bearings to transmit the drive.

Attachments:
    richard-f28
    Participant

Hi JAmie

I have a self propelled Stoic Landmaster that belonged to my father in law that you can have for spares if you are interested. It needs a new rotor shaft bearing i think otherwise it ran. It is in Guildford if you are interested.

Richard

jamiechubb
    Participant

Hi Richard,

I am very interested! Maybe I can make one fully operational mower from our two! Are you able to provide pictures please? Do you have a price in mind?

I’d be happy to chat or email if you can? Jamiechubb@hotmail.com is me.

Thanks,
    jamie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.