SIMAR M11 slow restoration.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects SIMAR M11 slow restoration.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

Progress now hit another snag. Due to the time taken so far, my eldest son had now left school, stared work and had his own Land Rover which he was rebuilding. This caused another delay as there was not room for both of us to work in the garage. Before and after photos of Alex’s Land Rover, note headlights removed in after photo to avoid damage whilst trialling. Rebuild involved new chassis, rebuilt bulkhead, all bodywork rebuilt on box section frame, 3.5 V8 engine and auto gearbox, winch and roll cage. He also custom built the dashboard and installed a Range Rover heater.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

To make some sort of progress I took the fuel tank and side panels to Tractor World in 2013 to deliver them to EFL Panels so they could make new ones. Tractor World 2014 and the new fuel tank was collected. First two photos show old fuel tank and side panels, last photo shows old and new tanks.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

The excellent SIMAR website has some information on the M11, see link.
    According to the website this model was produced from 5th April 1930 to 28th April 1936 with serial numbers 3001 to 3098. If only 98 were produced then they were never a common machine.

roatavator
    Participant

I take my hat off to you, Charlie. There are very few people with the enthusiasm, expertise and patience to tackle a project like this (to say nothing of the willingness to part with the cash!) You’ve made great progress, those of us addicted to SIMARS are following your restoration with anticipation!

Thank goodness there are people like you who realise the importance of these old machines. I can’t wait to see the end result.

Keep up the good work!

Peter

charlie
    Keymaster

Thank you Peter.
    The hard part next will be putting it all back together. Thankfully I took plenty of photos before the strip down which should help.

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie,making a good job dispite shelling out for the new items which it needed. the finished restoration will have been expensive ,but worth it.

jtg1
    Participant

how are you progressing, sadly mine is still soaking in diesel, and showing no sign of moving yet, think boiling pot is beckoning

charlie
    Keymaster

Had 2 new engine side covers made by EFL Panels. No other progress, busy with other things and Alex now has another Land Rover project in the garage!

jtg1
    Participant

sound like time for him to have his own garage!!!

charlie
    Keymaster

Funny you should say that John, there is room in the garden.

dave
    Participant

Charlie, One question. How do you keep the boot of your car so clean and tidy?
    The boot of my disco seems to look like a crows nest all the time even after
    a tidy up. Good luck with the restoration, maybe we will see it at Weeley
    in September? Dave.

charlie
    Keymaster

Dave, that is the boot of the Volvo.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.