Simar 56A Carb

Home Forums General Help and information Simar 56A Carb

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Some of you may be aware that I recently became the owner of a Simar 56A. With help from Charlie, we established that the carb fitted wasn’t correct, being an Amal 348/7. I was recently lucky enough to spot a correct Amal 244/544 for sale, but the owner indicated that it wasn’t complete as it was missing the needle. I am no expert on these carbs, but am I right in thinking that they don’t actually have a needle?
    Anyway, decided to purchase it (see photo 0001) and upon stripping it down, it all seems present and correct apart from the main jet which has been damaged by the fixing bolt for the float bowl. The bowl has been overtightened, causing it to dish inwards, which has then allowed bolt to hit the jet. Does anyone know the Amal part number for the main jet? Also, does anyone have an Amal square jet key, part number 7/099 that they might be willing to lend to me (I would cover any postage costs)?

Thanks,

Sean

Attachments:
    oddhatuk
    Participant

This looks identical to the carburetor on the Ransome MG2. Neil Jarrett sells jet keys for the original square headed jets, part no S24

charlie
    Keymaster

Glad to know you got a carb. I suspect it leaked a bit around bowl to body joint so owner thought tighten it more, hence the damage. There should be a gasket around top of float chamber.
    The jet might be saved with a bit of careful ‘adjustment’ with pliers. The important part is the hole in the jet, not sure how critical the damaged part is, so long as it does not block the hole. I guess it could be there to ensure fuel is picked up when level drops in the float chamber.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the info chaps.

Think you are right about the jet Charlie. Will attempt a repair. If I can’t straighten out the damage, I might try either bonding/soldering a suitable piece of tube in place after cutting off the damaged portion.

oddhatuk
    Participant

Found this web site for a company making Amal carbs based in Salisbury, they also do SU and Zenith carbs.

http://amalcarb.co.uk/?___store=amal

charlie
    Keymaster

I have sent an e mail asking if spares are available. Looking at the website it seems to only cover motorcycle carbs.

andyfrost
    Participant

If all else fails , I can send you a good jet for a pattern to have one made (sorry I would need it back) , the carb it’s off is a spare one for a Rowtrac that I’m now working on , which strangley enough , although a Villiers engine it has the same carb as a 56A.
    I would be fairly confident that the jet sizes would be the same.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the offer Andy. If the repair attempt fails, I shall be in touch.

I haven’t officially started rebuilding the Simar yet, as I am still trying to finish my Trusty first, but it is very difficult to not get distracted by other things!!!

Sean

hillsider
    Participant

It could be worthwhile contacting the chap at Saving Old Seagulls as I have seen from his spares pages that some models of Seagull outboards use a twin jet Amal carb very similar to the one that you are seeking jets for, he is also suggesting that brass radiator bleed keys can be used to remove the jets with modification.
    You would need to check the jet dimension as I very much doubt that he will have a parts cross reference from Seagull to Simar!

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/index.html

andyfrost
    Participant

I can confirm that the key for the Amal twinjet carb on a Seagull will fit the jets in the Simar Carb.

Andy.

andyfrost
    Participant

I can confirm that the key for the Amal twinjet carb on a Seagull will fit the jets in the Simar Carb.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Managed to remove the jets using a radiator key. Just in case anyone needs to know in the future, the pilot jet is size 40 and the main jet size 70.

charlie
    Keymaster

Reply from company in Salisbury, no spares for that type of carb.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.