Sachs d500w engine will not start

Home Forums General Help and information Sachs d500w engine will not start

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’ve had the injector cleaned and a new nozzle fitted,but when I take out starter fuse holder and turn over the engine there is a fine mist of diesel coming out of the screw hole, which is good right? But when I pull the cold start (extra fuel) knob out and turn the engine there is no diesel mist at all coming out of the screw hole, I’m thinking this could be the reason it will not start,also it will not even try to fire, please can someone ease my fain as I’m at my wits end, Thanks KenneK

stuart
    Participant

Is this the water cooled 2 stroke diesel engine as fitted on some Howard Gem rotavators ?.Whats the history with the engine / machine ?.Have you just brought it as a non runner or have you owned it for years and now it just wont start ?.In either case i would just check and go through the whole engine as a matter of course (compression,fuel system,fuel filters,air cleaner,timing etc etc).

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Stuart, yes its the water cooled as fitted to the Howard Gem, but its fitted on a Clifford mk4 I bought it around a month ago, Ive replaced fuel filter also cleaned the air filter, it seems ok on compression though, at some point in time someone has replaced the regulater casing as its painted orange as if it came off a Howard Gem,as for checking the engine timing I can only find a repair manual (on the internet) in German language, and I cannot get it to translate into English,I’m a bit stuck really

andyfrost
    Participant

I’m gathering this is fitted to a Howard Gem , or possibly one of the larger Cliffords , either way it was by far and away the best engine ever fitted to a Gem.
    When you say you’ve had the injector cleaned , was this done professionaly , it needs to be properly overhauled….not just cleaned , my initial conclusion tells me this is your problem.
    I’m assuming you are using a starter fuse ??.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Andy, its fitted to a large mk4 Clifford, I had the injector done by professionals it also had a new nozzle fitted at the same time,also using starter fuses but it will not fire not even a puff of smoke

andyfrost
    Participant

Have you blead the system right through , and thoroughly checked there are no air leaks. Is the machine new to you , or have you previously had it running ? .Might sound a silly question , but you’re not lighting the fuse before putting it in.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

yes blead the system right through,it is new to me and I have not had it running,I have spent many hours trying to get it going its a project I decided to take on in the hope that I could get it back to running order, but at the moment I.m struggling because I cannot find a engine repair manual in English,also tried lighting the fuses and putting them in not lighted, but no joy

andyfrost
    Participant

These problems are not always easily solved without “actually being there” , with injector removed and reconnected what sort of delivery are you getting when cranking it over.

Andy.

stuart
    Participant

It seems strange to me that when the excess fuel device is used no atomized fuel is emitted from the fuse holder when its removed (surely more fuel should be seen !!).Take the injector out the cylinder head and if possible reconnect it to the high pressure fuel line in such a way that you can clearly see the atomized fuel spray / pattern when the engine is cranked.Im sure you should see the difference in the spray pattern and fuel quantity with the throttle lever set at “idle” , “half throttle” , “full throttle” and “cold start / excess fuel” .When the injector operates (injects fuel) you should hear it “creak” as the pressure is a couple of thousand psi.DO NOT PUT YOUR HAND OR SKIN ANYWHERE NEAR THE INJECTOR NOZZLE as the atomized fuel pressure is extremely high !!!.

vhgmcbuddy

when cranking the engine I’m getting a fine mist with the throttle set at half way, but as soon as I pull the cold start knob I get no fuel at all

stuart
    Participant

Maybe a fuel injection pump problem ??.And why was the regulator housing changed ??

andyfrost
    Participant

I would have your pump overhauled judging on what you’ve said regarding the excess fuel issue.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

thanks Stuart and Andy, I was wondering about the pump myself, it kept coming to my mind if it was working correctly,do either of you know how to time this type of engine? as I can only see 2 centre punch marks close together on the flywheel, and all I can see on the flywheel housing is a half moon shape cut out (or notch you might say) at about 4o’clock

vhgmcbuddy

sorry I forgot to say the only sound I hear from the injector/pump is a single click when the diesel injects,but it sounds like its from the pump

andyfrost
    Participant

It may sound a pain , but you’re probably better to remove the Cylinder head to check if your timing is set correctly. Unless some previous owner has had the engine stripped down , and put back together wrong , the timing should not be the issue , but best to check.

Andy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.