Roper 14 Tractor Mower exhaust silencer

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Roper 14 Tractor Mower exhaust silencer

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Good day to all. It was suggested to me that I joined this Forum to find an answer to my roper problem. The unit is 1980 but I cannot find any engine reference other than what is written on the bodywork “Roper 14”. As you can see from the picture, the exhaust silencer has been torn off and I am having troubles finding a suitable replacement. Could anyone on this Forum help? Many thanks in advance……….>Sorry, don’t seem able to add pictures as mine are too large to download. I can send by Email if I find someone to help. Many thanks again.

hillsider
    Participant

http://www.stripmine.org/sears/etc/roper_canada.pdf

Does your tractor feature in the attached brochure that I found via Google? If it is the 14 HP model that you have it is likely that you have a Tecumseh engine in your tractor. However this would need to be verified before trying to locate parts.
    Re identification there should be some identification numbers located either on the engine block or the engine casing somewhere.

Good luck with your search.

charlie
    Keymaster

Photo files can be reduced by using software such as Shrinkpic

vhgmcbuddy

thank you hillsider and charlie.
    hillsider, My Roper 14 is as shown on page 7 of the catalogue you kindly attached (minus the blonde woman). I will only be able to ckeck the engine details early July when I get back and will get back to you. Once more many thanks.
    charlie, I will use shrinkpic and add my pictures. Thanks to both again.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all. I am back to the Forum after a few days travelling for work. I have modified the size of the picture to postso here is hoping……

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

It is working !! …..will now try a larger definition to show you the exact missing silencer area. Anyone can offer help or confirmation of the engine spec/serial numbers are needed? Many thanks.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Gentlemen, I now have the requested information (it was on a small plate by the blade guard).
    Model: TTZ18AR
    Serial Number: 3137W01283
    Could you possibly help me source a replacement? Many thanks for your bother help and support.

stuart
    Participant

Looks like the engine may be a Kohler ?.Possibly a K321 if its a 14hp engine ?.I would simply bronze weld / braze the silencer back onto the exhaust pipe if it was mine.

vhgmcbuddy

Problem is I haven’t got the silencer as I am trying to get it replaced.

stuart
    Participant

OK now i understand your problem.Do you know if the silencer was a Roper made part or an engine part ??.Either way i guess your best bet would be that popular auction site.Try the USA one allthough shipping will be expensive !!.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Stuart. Not sure if you looked at my pictures posted above. The silencer itself looks as if it was part of the exaust collector that goes straight to the engine block. This would be a tad surprising as the whole unit would have to be replaced. Have tried the popular auction site without success. I could get the unit shipped to my works HQ in Michigan and collect during my next visit as long as I find the unit itself (hillsider was going to help source the part once I had confirmed the tractor serial number).
    Question: Would any spare silencer do if I manage to get it connected or does it have to be the correct part designed for that purpose?? Thanks again.

stuart
    Participant

Im sure any similar silencer will be fine.Maybe one from an old 1970,s Wheelhorse will suit if you can find a good,solid one that can be brazed on the pipe.
    Have you a picture of what the original silencer should look like ??.

vhgmcbuddy

Don’t know what the old silencer looks like. Even the catalogue shows the “wrong” side of the tractor. I can only assume it looking like a slice of a cylinder about 3″ diameter and 5″ thick …… but that’s only a guess.

hillsider
    Participant

Before getting too involved you definitely need to confirm the make and type of engine fitted to you tractor, from the info that I can find via Google it seems as though the engine should be Tecumseh OH140. The numbers that you have located would seem to refer to the chassis rather than the engine, hopefully the attached links may help you to identify it for certain.

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/001/5/4/1548-roper-t4328-engine.html

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/TECUMSEH-SERVICE–REPAIR-MANUAL-VH80-VH100-HH80-HH100-HH120-OH120-OH140-OH160-OH180-8HP-THRU-18HP-CAST-IRON-ENGINES-691462A.pdf

Re the silencer it may or may not be peculiar to the roper application but you stand more chance of sourcing one if you positively identify the engine. There are several options of extended exhaust for Tecumseh engines shown on USA websites.
    If you are able to positively identify the engine you may find that a company such as Meetens Engines will be able to help tracking one down.

chap
    Participant

My mate ken with his rt16 fitted with briggs and scrapum 18hp v twin with straight through pipe sound great. http://youtu.be/fMGE9bdfLMc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.