Ransomes14

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

Well Roatavator Jr has caught the bug. He’s acquired one of these, and would be grateful for any info on date etc. Does anyone have a manual we could use?
    Not running yet, but won’t be long if I know him. He better not take too long, he needs it to put to work and his back garden is turning nto a jungle!
    He’s just moved house and hasn’t got internet yet, so I’m the message boy.
    Thanks chaps!

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

They are a useful little machine, I have one hiding under the bench in the barn, alas, no manual to offer you. Try the ‘Old lawnmower club’ site.
    Regards
    Chris

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks Chris.

I’ll let the boy know.

Peter

vhgmcbuddy

It runs! And better than that, it cuts grass…. And smokes! I still would like more info on it if anyone can help? I had a look at the old lawnmower club website and as far as I can see you have to be a member to use the forum, I know it’s a little cheeky but, I don’t suppose anyone is a member on here are they?

charlie
    Keymaster

Ahh the OLC secret society still going then, maybe they should be more open like the VHGMC.

wristpin
    Participant

Ahh the OLC secret society still going then, maybe they should be more open like the VHGMC.

Seems to keep the spammers out though!
    However, as far as I can see, no Ransomes 14/16 manual.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for looking, I don’t suppose anyone has any information on the villiers engine fitted to this? It looks like I could do with some rebuild parts if I can find them to stop it smoking

wristpin
    Participant

Yes, I’ve got a parts list for the engine and I will scan and post a Dropbox link to it later. May be useful to talk to Paul at Meetens.

Here’s the link. The original is a bit grubby!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk9cf88kskzg1pv/Ransomes%2014%20Villiers%2065cc0001.pdf

roatavator
    Participant

If I’ve done it right, I’ve added Jr’s video.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

That is a massive help, thank you for that Angus. I checked the oil this morning and it does seem very thin (and clean) so I’m going to change it at somepoint soon with the 20/50 it should have and see if the smoking improves….

vhgmcbuddy

If I’ve done it right, I’ve added Jr’s video.

Thanks dad, works a treat!

wristpin
    Participant

I’d go for a straight 30 or even 40. Multi grades were not around when that engine was made. Quite probably ring and or valve guide wear but a clean of the crankcase/valve chest breather may help and is free!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks again Angus, I’ll definitely clean it out. The only reason I was going for 20/50 is that it’s on the sticker on the side! Hopefully the “old man” will have some suitable for it!!

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Can’t argue with that-always assuming that the sticker is original!
    Personally I would still go for SAE30 in a worn engine of that age.
    The starter pulley looks as though it is home made – is it made from wood? We used to see a few 14s and 16s in the late 70s and early 80s and I remember that the recoil starters seemed to be a bit fragile but maybe only because the engines were worn and the starters were taking a pasting!

roatavator
    Participant

The “old man”, as you so inappropriately put it, only has SAE40, which if you carry on in that fashion will be liberated over your head and not in the mower……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.