Ransomes MG5 roller frame removal

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG5 roller frame removal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    simonc
    Participant

Anyone have any tips or tricks for removing the roller frame from an MG5? Long bolts and idler and drive wheel nuts removed, weight-bearing rollers off, but the frame itself is not shifting.

ransomes256
    Participant

This is an age old problem.
    You will need to make a small pusher to fit between the main chassis and the side frame as close to the cross tube as possible. A very large nut and bolt that only just fits is best the as you undo the nut the length increases. When it is at the end of the bolt you will need to add spacers.
    Lots of heat on the tube can help.
    It can help to drill some holes in the top of the tube to fill with release fluid and allowing it to soak in.
    When it has moved out far enough to clear the front and rear axles you can swivel the frame to help release it.
    Good Luck.
    Neil

simonc
    Participant

Thank you Neil, appreciate the advice. In two minds now as to whether to bother, as the main reason for doing it was to take off the drive wheel to soak it and free up the rollers which were all seized solid. But in the end a lot of blowtorch and tapping got them all free. On the other hand it would be good to check everything over while I have the tracks off to rebuild them, so suppose I should just bite the bullet!

Ps not quite sure what came over me but just acquired another MG5, so will be in touch soon with another shopping list I expect.

ransomes256
    Participant

As you have stripped it so far I would continue as if ever you need to remove it for some essential maintenance it will make life easier. Just grease the cross tube up when putting it all back together.
    MG5 is easier than MG6 as they have 2 cross tubes and cannot be twisted off.
    Neil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.