Ransomes MG40 Part 2

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG40 Part 2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    crawler
    Participant

I never got round to finishing my thread on my MG40 on the old forum so with this new forum up and running I thought I would have a go at posting and finish the thread off.

First a few photos from the original thread. This particular MG40 is a French spec with the hydraulically operated single arm out the back. Its serial number dates it to 1963.

The original thread ended with me removing the engine to examine the centrifugal clutch.

Attachments:
    crawler
    Participant

Going to try some photos from Photobucket on this post.

The problem with the clutch slipping seemed to have been caused by oil and dirt getting washed in from when I gave the engine a degrease. The clutch linings themselves seemed good for a few more years. It was noticed that the two springs in the clutch were not the same and that the rubber buffers were quite worn so it was decided to replace these while the engine was out.

MG clutch springs and buffers
    New springs and rubber buffers. Many thanks to Neil Jarrett for the very prompt service.

Old and new MG clutch buffers
    Old and new buffer for comparison.

MG40 clutch new springs and buffers
    New springs and buffers fitted.

crawler
    Participant

With the engine out I was able to give the front of the tractor a good clean. This revealed the extent of the modification made to the frame in order to fit the Sachs 600L engine.

MG40 engine bay

This has confirmed my suspicion that the Sachs 600L is not the original engine for this tractor. The fact that the engine and tractor body were different colours had always made me doubt if it was original.

MG40 Sachs 600L top

The ‘Ransomes’ transfer looks to be original which makes me think the Sachs 600L has come from a latter MG40. All part of the tractors history I guess.
    The red and blue colour scheme on the main body is correct as it still has the original French transfers.

MG40 French transfers

crawler
    Participant

I gave the engine a bit more of a thorough clean when it was out and then set about refitting it.

Mg40 cleaned

Safely back in and bumper reattached.
    Given that so much of the original paint has survived I think that I’ll leave it in it’s working clothes. I have given it a wipe down with WD40 to try and protect it, what do other members do to preserve original paint work on a machine?

vhgmcbuddy

Give it a spray over with ACF50. It protects metal. Not cheap at arround £15 per spray can

Just brought some for my Landrover & have used it on some workshop machinery protection

Google it & see what comes up

Thats a machine which just needs to be left how it it like

crawler
    Participant

Thanks for that Chris, have looked it up and it looks to be ideal. Could have done with some ACF50 on my dads last two 110s, they were terrible for rust.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.