New toy!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

Hi all
    Following on from my recent purchase of the Commer PB for transport, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to add to the collction of machines to go on her!
    SIMAR 35, local to Norfolk/Suffolk all its life, all original paint and patina, currently has fixed tines but also came with spare spring tines and their rotor, and the rare petrol/oil mixer can.
    Currently leaks oil like a sieve, but it has had SAE90 in the gearbox/miller and not 140, so with a bit of use and correct oil might be a bit better (hope so, don’t fancy having to replace seals after my last attempt on the 30B!)

Good runner, so looking forward to putting it through its paces at working events.

Attachments:
    stuart
    Participant

Has your old Commer got one of there 2 stroke diesel engines in her ??.Do love the sound of a multi cylinder 2 stroke diesel :):):).The old American made Detroit 71 series engines sound even better :):):).Very nice Simar rotavator you have there and it looks like it retains its original paintwork too.

charlie
    Keymaster

Good original machine, hope the sae 90 has not caused any damage. Serial number?

vhgmcbuddy

Nice one Peter. It’s even got side shields!!

On the subject of oil for the gearbox, you now have me very worried as I have been using non EP SAE90 on my Simar 56 rebuild. The Simar 35/56 operators manual states Castrol ST or SAE90 for the gearbox. Is this incorrect??

roatavator
    Participant

Hi all.
    No, Stuart, its a Perkins 4.108 4-stroke, 1725cc if I remember right, not what you’d call overpowered, especially with a load on!
    Charlie, so far as I can tell no bad damage, no funny noises from gearbox and everything selects and works OK. I think its probably advantageous that its leaked so badly, I don’t think much oil will have stayed in the box for very long! I’ll check the serial number when I next go outside!
    Busman,so far as I’ve always known its SAE140 in the gearbox.
    I’ve attached copy of the first page of my SIMAR 56 manual and an info leaflet from Mechanised Gardening who dealt with SIMARS after Monros packed up. Don’t know about old names for gear oil but MG say 140. Obviously, avoid EP at all costs.

Peter

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Interesting Peter!! Your manual is the same layout as the one supplied to me by Charlie, but lists different oils. Have attached the page from Charlie’s manual for comparison.

Charlie, do you know what year your operators manual is from?

Looking on the Simar website, the US version of the manual, dated 1950, states SAE140, with SAE90 being an option for cold weather use. The French manual does not give an SAE value, but does give Castrol Swanshot (as stated in your manual) and Shell Dentax as possible gearbox oils. Confusingly, Shell Dentax is still available in both SAE90 and SAE140 grade!!!

Looks like I am going to have to spend even more money on the Simar and buy some new oil!!

Attachments:
    roatavator
    Participant

Facinating on the oils, my manual is from when machine supplied in 1949, but MG leaflet I’m guessing is from 1970’s. You takes your pick…… thicker oil may stand less chance of leaking out of seals!

My serial number 350873 supplied new 16/11/1955 to Gillingham Suffolk, bought locally at auction many years ago by the chap who sold it to me, always been a local machine. (Charlie supplied serial number info to previous owner via our old forum in 2009!)

charlie
    Keymaster

I have had a look through various operator manuals I have for different Rototiller models, see below:
    50 & 30 Castrol D or Swanshot ST
    50, 51 & 30 Castrol Swanshot or Shell Retinax, one copy has an erratum slip stuck in which also lists Mobiloil C
    35 & 56 Castrol ST or SAE 90
    Unfortunately none of the publications have any dates. The manual that came with my 1948 model 56 has the lubrication page missing.
    One of the important points is to use an ST rather than EP oil. I use Morris Oils AG140.

vhgmcbuddy

As I have replaced all the oil seals on my 56, I think I will give the SAE90 a try, particularly as I have 20 litres of the stuff and don’t have any other machinery that uses this grade oil. If it does leak, at least I have plenty to keep topping it up!!

roatavator
    Participant

Just to reiterate what Charlie has said, EP oils must be avoided completely. They have an additive which attacks the bronze parts of the gearbox.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.