New SIMAR owner seeks assistance!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines New SIMAR owner seeks assistance!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but, nearly nine months after purchase…

…it runs!

Simar running on youtube!

Now the engine is known to be sound I can begin working through the rest of the issues!

charlie
    Keymaster

Sounds good. What did you have to do to get it running?
    Is that a Rototiller 35 I saw in the video

ted20
    Participant

that looked a painful way to stop it, sounds nice

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie, actually very little the end, I resorted to robbing the Wico mag from Roland the headless 35, until such a time as I can afford to have the old Lucas properly rebuilt. Aside from that, the usual rigmarole, carb strip and clean, filled the gearbox with oil and away she went! That exhaust pipe is frantically loud, the video does it no justice. I assume it ought to have the normal flattened style?

Ted, painful indeed, my Jerry rigged throttle cable, borrowed from a Seagull outboard motor jammed and I had to get it stopped in a hurry. You can see when I caught a real belt off the HT lead by the way the pliers go on the floor!

charlie
    Keymaster

Mike I may have a drawing for the exhaust, let me know if you would like a copy.
    Rather than pull the lead off push pliers tight onto cylinder head then whilst applying pressure touch them against plug top a lot less painful. That is how I stop my Trusty Earthquake.

vhgmcbuddy

A drawing for the exhaust would be great! Shall I PM you an email address?

Of course that would have been a much more sensible course of action, even better would have been to just press the stop button on the Wico mag, but alas all these sensible thoughts go out the window when one is fearing for the life of the engine!

I’ve stripped the hubs to cure the very stiff/seized drive pins, all back in one piece now, just waiting on some parts to make a throttle cable and it’ll be time to see how it turns the soil!

vhgmcbuddy

A few pictures for the record

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

I can let you have a new/old stock exhaust if you are interested, for the cost of postage.
    Chris.

vhgmcbuddy

Hortiman that is very generous indeed, I have sent you a PM!

charlie
    Keymaster

So long as the ground is not too wet you will find it produces a very tilth.

vhgmcbuddy

This is the ground it is going to be cultivating, marshland, but actually fairly dry in the top layers!

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Is there much to choose between the “wire” type tines and the “slasher” ones?

charlie
    Keymaster

I have the wire tines on my 56, not used the slasher type although they are very similar to normal digging tines on MonroTillers. On the Rototiller the springs are different for wire and slasher tines, the later have a casting that sits inside the loop of the spring. The wire tines are prone to straightening out if they catch on a tree root and are almost impossible to bend back into shape.

vhgmcbuddy

Well I don’t think I should be encountering any tree roots, fingers crossed!

Does the gearbox in the middle of the miller unit share oil with the main gearbox or is it filled separately?

vhgmcbuddy

Should any of you wish to view the whole process of torturing the Simar back into life, here’s an extended cut of the video:

Simar start up long video

I know easy start is naughty, but used as a diagnostic tool it has it’s place… The issue which necessitated it’s usage was a vacuum leak between the choke butterfly and the carb, meaning the engine couldn’t be effectively choked. I have now rectified this!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.