Monro Tiller Mk 1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all ,
    just started on this a very seized machine the bearings carrying the worm have collapsed and the brass gear is shot . Does anybody know how the gear is removed from shaft ? I have removed damaged bearings and clutch unit with worm , drawn the sprocket to the wheels off and tried to push the gear shaft through but seems stiff so thought I would get a bit of advice before something goes bang .

Swampy.

jtg1
    Participant

charlie moore’s the mann for monro tillers, may also be able to help you date it too.

charlie
    Keymaster

Swampy, my first question is which model of Monro Tiller? See my website for details of how to identify which you have. I have owners manuals with parts list for all models. I may also be able to help with spares (second hand from scrap machine). Any good bearing supplier should be able to supply bearings. Any photos of machine and damaged parts?

charlie
    Keymaster

Opps, just re-read title and see it is a series 1.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie ,
    Split the gear cases today and drew the gear of the shaft . I had a poke about to check for other damage but up to now not found any .
    What is unusual is the chain cases are made of wood but look a very good job so could they be original ?
    So up to now I need a gear , the gear change crank lever and a set of bearings and oil seal for the clutch shaft , I don’t half pick em .
    I managed to free off the seized rotorvator.
    I only got photo of damaged gear will try and get you some more . Swampy .

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Looks like it has had a hard life with little or no lubrication, or the wrong oil, a straight gear oil should be used not an EP type. I will search through my spares pile to see what I have.
    Below are the pages from the parts manual, if you can give me the part numbers you need it will help.

vhgmcbuddy

That parts list is brilliant priced up bearings today but much cheaper on ebay . I thought if I used a sealed one in the middle that can replace the seal that’s gone .

So looks like I need gear MT17 and Arm MT103 for gear change , the only other thing is the outer rim on one wheel has a big chunk out of it .

I managed to get the engine running after a couple of days , the piston rings were stuck and a clean around the mag got a spark but after a night soaking the rings she ran quiet nice ,the exhaust is missing but I can make one up and there is no air cleaner and the carb is mounted straight on the barrel unlike all other photo’s I have seen of these .

charlie
    Keymaster

I will see what I have. The wheel soften get chunks broken out of them, possibly someone has tried using a tyre lever to get the tyre off, the wheels split and do not have a well like normal wheels. Later wheels were all steel.
    You should be able to get an exhaust and air cleaner from Meetens. Engine should be a Villiers Mk10, I wonder if somebody has changed it at sometime? Photos would be good to see what you have.

charlie
    Keymaster

A quick look through the parts books for series 2 and 3 machines confirms the gear operating lever MT103 is common to series 1 and 2 machines, worm gear MT17 is common to all models. This improves chances I may have what you require.

vhgmcbuddy

Any help would be great , I managed to get the gear cases cleaned today and took some pictures .

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Struggling to get more pics on .

charlie
    Keymaster

Your problem with uploading photos is file size exceeds 3072Kb limit. I use shrinkpic software which automatically reduces fikle size.
    The engine looks original and the carb and inlet manifold are normal for the Monro Tiller, do you have the engine cowling? The machine id plate should be on it with machine number, if so I can date it from that number (not engine number).

vhgmcbuddy

I will try again .

vhgmcbuddy

Seem to be making a mess of the pictures . I am afraid there is no plate on the cover only the engine number.

charlie
    Keymaster

I think you need to download shrinkpic this will solve the upload problems you are having.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.