Mayfield pedestrian tractor engine

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Mayfield pedestrian tractor engine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pauper
    Participant

Hello All,

I have a Mayfield horticultural tractor fitted with a Villers mk25 engine. I’m considering replacing the engine with a more recent horizontal crankshaft engine that would be easier to start and not require access for cleaning the contact breaker points whenever the machine hasn’t been used for a few months. I found the Briggs and Stratton engine replacement charts on this website, but the Villers mk25 isn’t listed. I also have an early Hayter Condor mower with a Kohler engine, which I’ve successfully converted to electronic ignition, so the points are not used any more. I’ve tried to do the same with the Villiers using the same kit but it has no spark at all now. Has anyone replaced the Villers mk25 on a mayfield with a newer enging? And if so, what did you use? I’d be grateful for any relevant comments! Thank you.

charlie
    Keymaster

I have a Trusty Earthquake rotavator with a Villiers Mk25 engine which is left in the shed unused for months, typically 6 months, and it starts first time without the need to clean points.
    Some later Mayfields had a Kohler engine, others used a B&S engine I believe. The Museum of English Rural Life (MERL) at Reading has an extensive collection of information about Mayfield garden tractors.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.