Looking for information on this old mower for parts

Home Forums General Help and information Looking for information on this old mower for parts

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tommydog
    Participant

I am looking for information on this old mower. Anyone know what date it is?

I am looking for a coil, any idea where I can find one?

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Your old mower is a Hayter Hayterette. The engine can be dated using the engine number see Briggs and Startton website

tommydog
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, but the website does not seem much help with dating the engine. As far as I can make it out (its very difficult to read), the stamped number under the sticker reads:
    82902 0159 01 6505254

This does not seem to follow the format shown on the website.

Secondly, any idea where I would get a new coil from?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by tommydog.
    andyfrost
    Participant

Coils are readily available online , personally I would opt for a Magnetron version , does away with points and condenser , I’ve used the aftermarket ones and they appear absolutely fine.

Andy.

tommydog
    Participant

Do you have a link for one online (ebay etc)? I have looked, but not sure what is 100% working with this machine.

charlie
    Keymaster

Engine date I recon is 25th May 1965 (650525 part of engine number).
    Why do you think the coil needs replacing? No spark could be as simple as corrosion on the points, easily cleaned with sand paper. I have used Briggs Bits in the past for engine spares.
    The Hayterette was launched in 1957 and continued in production, with various changes, for 62 years. I have a very early 2 stroke one.

andyfrost
    Participant

Choose a reputable dealer on the auction site , message them with your engine details/numbers and they will sort you.

Andy.

tommydog
    Participant

Does anyone what any idea what spark plug to buy for the machine? I have lost the original, so don’t have any numbers etc for reference. Were all the Hayter Hayterette plugs the same? Assuming it is 1965, does anyone have a link to a suitable plug?

Secondly – AndyFrost. Do you have a link for the Magnetron that you purchased?

andyfrost
    Participant

Plug is Champion j8 (or equivilant) , I usually use Garden Hire Spares , for coils.

Andy.

will-haggle
    Participant

Date is the last numbers backwards you have 65 05 25 4
    4 is the line or factory
    so the rest works out to 25th May 1965! So they could trace exactly who built it!

will-haggle
    Participant

I swapped the coil on my 1968 Merry Tiller for an electronic one, easy job and it always has a good spark now. I wish i could sort the carb. as easily!

wristpin
    Participant

I wish i could sort the carb. as easily!

A two piece flo-jet prone to flooding ? There’s a couple of wrinkles that may help.

will-haggle
    Participant

Cheers, Angus, they do everything but start! a couple of wrinkles would be most helpful. The ones on my Clinton engined Professional models are much more amenable!

wristpin
    Participant

B&S Flo-Jet Carburettor problems
    The teflon washer referred to is part number 391413

Had a bit of an issue retrieving this, so may be duplicated! Two better than none!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by wristpin.
    Attachments:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.