J P Mower model

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    philip-s
    Participant

Hi, I have been a member of VHGMC for quite a long time and used to be on the old forum. As I have some questions on recent acquisitions I thought I had better reconnect with the forum.

Attached, I hope, are two photos of my unusual JP mower fitted with a belt drive from a JAP engine. What model is this as it doesn’t seem to match anything I can find on the internet?. It appears complete apart from the pull start and grassbox.
    Thanks

Attachments:
    philip-s
    Participant

I thought this was a pretty unusual model of JP mower and I guess the silence confirms this. I wonder if it was a prototype, and what is the V pulley doing on the outside of the roller as the roller drive is already driven internally from the engine?

charlie
    Keymaster

I looked at the photos and the possibility of a homemade conversion crossed my mind. Knowing how well engineered JP mowers were the strip of metal with 3 bolts in it to extend the rear handle bar attachment does not look right.

philip-s
    Participant

Thanks for that observation, the extension appears to be necessary to enable the user to lift the idler pulley in and out of gear effectively and the red catch higher up holds the lever out.
    There are no controls on the handlebars you would expect on most motormowers and the JAP engine appears to be a fixed speed.
    However the engine is painted the same colour as the mower and there are no signs of any other colour underneath. If it is a conversion of a push mower a lot of thought must have gone into it.

charlie
    Keymaster

Something that has just occurred to me, what are the engine and mower serial numbers? The engine number should be stamped into the engine block above oil filler. Not sure about mower serial number location, possibly on frame near cutting cylinder/front roller.

philip-s
    Participant

Eventually found some numbers, The JAP engine has what appears to be 2AV 85976 pressed into the cowling, although the V could be a U. According to a JAP dating list I found this makes it 1956 or 1943. I’m not sure when they began making 2A engines but since this one had a recoil starter I am guessing it is probably 1956.
    Taking a closer look at all the JP mower pictures I can find I now think this could be an early style Maxees push mower which someone has put an engine on. All I have found so far on it are three letters G V E inscriber on the sideplate near the back roller.

charlie
    Keymaster

Have you tried the Old Lawn Mower Club or Hall & Duck Trust to see if they have any information?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.