Introduction and Help with BMB Hoemate

Home Forums General Help and information Introduction and Help with BMB Hoemate

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bish
    Participant

I collected an Atco Scythe from Pete the Biker a week or so ago and he recommended I join up to this club so I’ve trial joined and had a good look through the forums and it’s brilliant seeing so many other garden machinery enthusiasts . I’m looking at starting restoring a BMB Hoemate with a Brockhouse engine is there anywhere to get parts for these engines now? Thanks Rich

will-haggle
    Participant

Welcome to the forum, Rich, I’m sure there’s someone on here with a Hoemate that can help….
    My photo shows Brian with his Spryte (2 stroke) engined BMB Hoemate. His mate had just got it going for him in 2012 at the Selwood Rally, Nr. Trowbridge, Wiltshire….

Attachments:
    stuart
    Participant

New parts for the Brockhouse engine are very few and far between !!
    I have a BMB Hoemate myself.I have also brought 2 spare engines over the years but they are rather hard to find especially in good condition.One of my “spare” engines wants a new con-rod,roller bearings (steel and bronze) and crankpin but i have never found anyone who is able to supply them.I did manage to buy a NOS Amal carburettor and airfilter a few years ago though :):).
    What parts are you looking for ??

charlie
    Keymaster

Bish welcome to the forum.
    Stuart whilst having the engine on my SIMAR 11 rebuilt it had new roller bearing for the bog end made and a new crank pin turned up. The work was carried out by Cox & Turner, it might be worth contacting them to ask where they got the bearing made. It would be possible to have a new con rod machined out of a solid billet.

stuart
    Participant

I guess that was very expensive Charlie ??.Fortunately its only one of my “spare part” engines that the con rod / bearing issue is with.The original engine in my BMB Hoemate is perfect :).

bish
    Participant

Thanks for the replies I’m not sure what parts I need for her I’m just seeing if there was an avenue for parts in case I stumble across something that needs replacing.

stuart
    Participant

Any gaskets required you will have to make yourself.
    Bearings and seals can be obtained from your local bearing supplier.
    The Brockhouse engine uses a strange governor assembly (theres at least 2 slightly different types used depending on engine serial number) located in its own housing.The fibre “weights” will no doubt be rather worn.I had to make a pair of these for my engine.

franktonpaget
    Participant

The Brockhouse Spryte engine was also used in the Brockhouse Corgi motorbike,it had a kick start while in the Hoemate had a rope pull start.
    The vintage motorbike spares market may well be a source for spares

regards Joe Paget

charlie
    Keymaster

spam removed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.