Howard gem kohler k301

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard gem kohler k301

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    twrf
    Participant

Hello all wondering if I could get some help I’m a young gent just taken on my first allotment and have managed to get my self a Howard gem with a kohler k301 engine.I’m unable to get a spark im a mechanic but new school I’ve replaced the coil and plug and placed a kohler ignition system on the engine. I must add it is a non battery powered k301 but I’m struggling on why I have no spark when I know I’m getting 14v to the top of the plug was wondering if there should be more voltage at the plug. Plug and coil along with ignition system replaced any help would be a great. I have also created a new good known ground for the ignition system.

Many thanks tony

wristpin
    Participant

Am I right in thinking that your 301 has contact breaker points in a small metal box on the back of the engine with an externally mounted condenser ? If that is the case, before we go any further try for a spark with the points cover removed – the cover can short out the system.

twrf
    Participant

Yes it is that style of engine but proor to me it had new points and condenser and now I have fitted the electronic ignition it dosnt need them so they arnt come nexted even with the cover off it wouldn’t spark this is the issue I’m having. Many thanks man for the reply

andyfrost
    Participant

Two things are you absolutely certain your coil is compatible , if it is is it earthed.

Andy.

twrf
    Participant

Coil should be 100% right as with the electronic ignition we’re both bought from a Howard supplier online I’m seeing 14v at the top of the ht lead coil is wire to the armature and then on the wires what went to the condenser and points wire gets cut and put to electronic ignition and the. Ignition system has a good warm made for it onto the base of the engine all cleaned up

wristpin
    Participant

I take it that you have fitted either a Nova or Meco trigger module ? I’m a bit puzzled about this 14 volts from the HT lead; one would expect in the region of 22k + volts from a standard ignition system in good health – that is a good belt!
    The coil may have two low tension wires one to ground and the other to the points and condenser – or in your case the module . If it only has one lt lead that goes to the module and the coil is grounded via its fixing screws to the cylinder block.
    The Meco module has just one terminal and is grounded via its fixing screw. The Nova has two terminals , + & – . Connect the + to the coil and the – to ground.
    I would be inclined to return the engine to a standard points, condenser and coil configuration and get it sparking . Then, perhaps try the electronic trigger module.
    A couple of good images showing all your ignition components in situ May reveal what’s amiss.

twrf
    Participant

I will look to convert it back to points and condenser they was replaced just over a year ago prior to me getting the gem from the sound of it I have the merco unit I shall take it all of place it back to points and condenser with the current coil and see how I get on

twrf
    Participant

Thank you all turned out to be a faulty coil and issue with the flywheel a small crack so it’s been welded up and I have ended up making some brackets up and fitted a standard 12v coil and battery system on it runs a treat . Now onto fixing the bulldog I believe to have

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.