Howard 350 points setup.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard 350 points setup.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Been looking for a pdf or similar of the set up of the point and condenser for the howard 350. Even pictures or anything really as I have a broken wire coming off the condenser and don’t where it goes. And I will be putting new points and condenser on it in the near future so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

wristpin
    Participant

Presume that the engine is a Kohler with the points in a small metal “can” at the back of the engine and the condenser mounted beside it?
    Would expect to see a wire coming from the magneto coils under the flywheel to the points and a wire from the condenser to that same terminal. If you have a handlebar mounted on/off switch with two terminals, one will have a wire to a suitable earthing point and the other a wire down to the back of the engine (the kill wire) to the terminal on the points or maybe to the condenser – just depends how it was wired or has been altered over the years.
    With the on/off switch in the run (open circuit) position the ignition will operate but in the stop position (switch closed) the points and condenser will be earthed and the spark killed.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes it is a Kohler engine with the points and condenser as you describe. At the condenser there is one wire that goes to the points and then there is another one that is about 3 inches long that seems to have broken off from somewhere but I cant see where.
    I was pondering on the idea of maybe fitting one of those electronic ignition module things that’s seen on fleabay, are they worthwhile or just a gimmick?
    Any guidance appreciated

hitchinsm
    Participant

As of today I have sold and fitted well over a 1000 of these gimmicks. When I turn up to a non starter I do not waste a micro second on the points and condenser I just change them straight over to electronic ignition, easier starting, smoother running, ignition timing automatically set and no kicking back. Takes less time to fit than changing the points and condenser as well as most importantly, reliable, fit and forget part.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Mike for that was just what I was needing to convince me to go that route.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.