Howard 300 Ignition

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard 300 Ignition

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    aquila787
    Participant

I’ve just bought a Howard 300 that I think has bad ignition….no spark. The armature magneto seems to be obsolete. Is there a way to convert it to electronic ignition or anyone know where I could buy the ignition system. It’s Part Number BS296834…..Briggs & Stratton

John
    PS there was a seized Mayfield came with it free.

andyfrost
    Participant

Magnetron coils are widely available online.

Andy.

aquila787
    Participant

Hi Andy

I attach a couple of pictures of the magneto. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. The ones available have 2 legs whereas this one has 3.

Do you mean ……just replace the coil.

When I removed the magneto the thin wire came free very easily. Where should it be attached?

Is there a wiring diagram available?

Attachments:
    aquila787
    Participant

I’m guessing that wire should be connected to the engine body to form a circuit.

Maybe that’s why I don’t have a spark if it was a bad connection or not even connected at all.

John

andyfrost
    Participant

The wire you’ve highlighted goes to the points ,(in this instance directly onto the end of the condenser) the other uninsulated wire is Earth. Try wiring it up correctly , make sure your points are clean and set , and see if you have a spark.
    A modern replacement magnetron coil should be available , which will eliminate the need for points and condenser.

Andy.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by andyfrost.
    wristpin
    Participant

If it’s a Briggs engine of that vintage, the Model, Type, and Code Numbers are usually stamped into the engine cowling either adjacent to the spark plug or on the vertical surface on the carburettor side. Using those numbers will facilitate the correct information.

aquila787
    Participant

The engine number is 140202 0147-01.

I don’t have any settings for the points etc. Is there a manual for this model.

When I removed the flywheel I found that the points had fallen out of its slot and wouldn’t work properly. This is the likely cause of no spark. I’ll put it back together properly and test.

John

andyfrost
    Participant

Have you looked on the points hosing cover , it’s usually given on there.

Andy.

aquila787
    Participant

I’m afraid the cover is missing.

John

andyfrost
    Participant

Set points to 020″ , you will need to source a cover , is it two or three screw mounting.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

The cover is 221046 and the screws 93014. All available , apparently.
    The coil armature was 296834 and is shown as obsolete and no Briggs substitute offered.They don’t even suggest a Magnetron replacement, which is quite unusual, but
    hopefully one of the current Magnetron coils will do the job. If so, it will replace the points and condenser, so you need not worry about the cover. However it is necessary to leave the points in place to keep the breaker plunger captive. Alternatively, shorten the plunger so that it does not contact the cam on the crank and glue it in place to keep the oil in. In the early days of Magnetron, Briggs sold conversion kits that included a small soft metal stud that was tapped into place instead of the plunger.

aquila787
    Participant

Well got it running briefly by putting small dribble of petrol in the spark plug hole. It ran for about 3 or 4 seconds. Then I discovered I was out of petrol. May wait till tomorrow now. And it seemed to run great.

I think I’ll find a magnetron for it. Can’t be taking off the flywheel every time I have to change or set the points. Might even have one on an old lawnmower.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

John

wristpin
    Participant

Can’t be taking off the flywheel every time I have to change or set the points. .

Going back to the days when “all” BS engines had points, ignition failure from component failure or maladjustment was comparatively rare – unless the points cover was not properly sealed and/or the machine was left outside during winter etc.
    A Magnetron replacement is a nice neat solution using an original component but it shouldn’t be forgotten that as an alternative, an aftermarket transistorised points replacement unit used with the original coil is an equally reliable and maintenance free solution. I’ve got both a little used BS engined scarifier and a rotary cultivator, both fitted with Meco triggers some 30+ years ago. I regularly repair and restore Villiers F12 Sloper engines, mainly on Ransomes lawnmowers, and fit Meco units as a standard part of the rebuild: never had a failure yet.
    The two trigger units that are readily available in the UK are Meco and Nova. I prefer the Meco as it’s a little more compact and may be fitted within many magnetos, whereas the Nova usually has to be fitted outside.

aquila787
    Participant

Thanks for that. That’s the way I’ll go so. I’ve seen them on ebay.

John

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.