Honda tiller rotor shaft seals.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Honda tiller rotor shaft seals.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’m about to fit shaft seals to the Honda F400. I eventually obtained new ones . These seals are a two part type I think called a labrinyth seal. The centre is bonded ? to the shaft and turns within the outer part, all one piece. The bonding I read about when looking up about fitting them. Has anyone fitted these types of seal. My question is will they need bonding or not, the shaft size is 25mm and seal inner is 24.50mm. The shaft bearings are good with no play.

hillsider
    Participant

Whilst not familiar with the sealing arrangement used on your Honda, to fall back on general engineering experience I would ask what material is the inner seal carrier made from? If it is metal then I would use a sleeve and bush retainer from the likes of Loctite or Granville, but you will only get one chance to position it correctly (this may also be the case with no sealant)
    However if the seal carrier is rubber coated metal then it will probably seal ok dry, also from the sizes that you have quoted the fit on the shaft will be pretty tight.

Sleeve and bush retainer will not only keep the inner seal carrier from rotating on the inner shaft but it will act as an effective sealant against oil leakage, this could also be helpful for sealing the outer seal to the drive housing.

If you can do it a picture of the new seal assembly and its intended location would help to confirm my thoughts.

Hope this helps
    Ray.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Ray, they have a rubber inner. I will sort some photos tomorrow.

stuart
    Participant

Im sure i have a genuine Honda F400 workshop manual at work (in fact theres a big box of various Honda w/s manuals :)).I,ll have a look and see what it says ref fitting replacement rotor shaft seals tomorrow.

hillsider
    Participant

Consulting the manual is always a good way to go, we shall then see if my ideas hold water.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Stuart that would help if you can look up a manual. Some photos Ray, the casing had a bit of aluminium corrosion, so it’s been cleaned of and painted with etch primmer and hammerite. I see from the photo I need do a bit more cleaning up before fitting.

Attachments:
    stuart
    Participant

OK looked at the manual today and it doesn,t mention anything “special” about fitting the oil seals.Theres a special Honda tool to fit them but it looks like its only a bit of tubing of the correct diameter to go over the wheel shaft (rotor shaft) and drive the seals in squarely.BTW this F400 manual is dated 1976.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Stuart, I recon my F400 is 1980/83. I recon the way to go is drive it dry as Ray mentioned, seeing it has a rubber inner. I did see the fitting tool some were on the net, I will improvise with a round piece of thick ply with hole in and a suitable length of pipe.

vhgmcbuddy

These seals are similar to ones fitted on axles/trumpet on forklift s and tractors. We don’t bond them if there a nice snug fit!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Stew. Searching the Internet can be a help with such matters but it can also be confusing. Should have put it on here in the first place. Thanks to you all. Owen.

vhgmcbuddy

Fitted the seals Yesterday without bonding, all went well. Thanks again.

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

Pleased to help and good to hear that all went well with the seal fitting.
    Ray.

vhgmcbuddy

good news Owen a job well executed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.