help wanted please

Home Forums General Help and information help wanted please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

hi, i have been on here before but cant remember sign in details, anyway, got three machines now and having a big problem rebuilding them, can anyone help.
    got a Howard gem that has a starting problem. the handle turns bot not the engine, someone told me its the drive shaft. don’t know…. any one help please. ???

vhgmcbuddy

Hello. I would have thought it’s a clutch stuck open, check to see if its’ operating correctly. If that’s not the reason, Member SIG will sort you out.

charlie
    Keymaster

Steve, how long ago were you last on the forum? Have you used this new one before?

darmic1
    Participant

Hi Steve, some info about the machine, ie model: Series 1,2,3 etc. Engine: BJ, JAP etc would help to diagnose the problem. It could as you say be the main output shaft, this would mean the gearbox needed stripping and overhauling. It could equally be the clutch plate, as the plate has holes, into which locating dowls on the flywheel fit to take the drive. If that has broken up, then the engine would need to be removed. You could check the fault by removing spark plug if petrol, putting it into gear and turning the start handle. If the machine moves, I would say its the clutch plate. If no movement, I would say the main output shaft. If neither proves conclusive it could just be the starter dog failed. Hope this helps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.