Help needed, Mountfield M1

Home Forums General Help and information Help needed, Mountfield M1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello.
    I am a new member and have found this old rotavator.
    I have spent hours on the web trying to find the name and mod.
    I think it is a Mountfield M1 super estate 4hp heavy duty 4 blade.
    I was wondering if any members could confirm this and also the age of it.
    Would you recommend refurbishing it or just service and get it running ?
    Thank you

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

John, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I cannot help with date. To refurbish or just service very much depends on what you intend doing with it and what condition it is in. If anything mechanical or electrical (ignition) needs replacing or repairing that would be first priority. To give it a full restoration and paint job is personal preference.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you Charlie.
    I think I’ll make sure it’s ok mechanical and it works before I give it a paint job.
    Hoping someone will know date and also the Mod.No. so I can see if there is a manual for it.
    I did email Mountfield but had no reply.
    Cheers
    John.

alan
    Participant

John

There’s some info on the old forum archive which may be of help:

http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=757

Also found this reference from the early 1970’s. “an M1 Super at around £116 with a 3 h.p. engine, there are the Estate at £130, fitted with a 4h.p. engine, and the Monarch at £140.50, fitted with a 5 h.p. engine”.

Mountfield is now owned by another company so information or archives may no longer be available or may be lost.

Alan

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Alan.
    I think its the Estate but just got engine off and it looks like it may be American.
    The quest goes on.
    John.

alan
    Participant

That’ll be a Tecumseh or Aspera engine then?

vhgmcbuddy

Yes you were right Alan just found the plate on the engine and I can see it says Aspera. Can’t read the rest but I’ll have a good look when its cleaned.
    Bit worried now may need to strip the engine as I can turn it over bye hand with the spark plug in.
    Is this normal do you think ?

hillsider
    Participant

By courtesy of the folk at allotment- garden there are some free to dowload manuals on there website

https://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals-free/

I can confirm that you have an M1 there but as you have found you have an Aspera engine fitted rather than the Briggs and Stratton engine that mine has fitted. If you can find the model and serial numbers on here it is possible that one of the forum members can help with some seful information.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks hillsider, very useful downloads from allotment org.
    I am wondering now why I have an Aspera and not Briggs.
    Was it made like that by Mountfield or has it had an engine change at some time. ?

charlie
    Keymaster

Is there any evidence around frame of machine where engine mounts to suggest it had something different previously? Aspera may have been a later option. Yes it should be possible to turn engine by hand with plug in, you should feel it become harder at some point as piston comes up on compression stroke. If engine has been stood for a long period one of the valves could be stuck open which would cause loss of compression.

andyfrost
    Participant

I’m fairly certain the Aspera (LAV 35) was fitted with a decompressor , which would account for feeling lack of compression. That model was fitted with both the Briggs and Aspera from new.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

At last I have finally got to see the No.s on the I.D plate.
    They are LAV 35. 3272368 Does this mean its a 1968 engine.?
    Think I’ll get it going if I can before I start stripping down the engine as it has a decompressor and was fitted as new like andyfrost says above.
    I can’t see Aspere listed on the allotment org site.

mickattwo
    Participant

I thought Aspera m/c’s were Italian
    Put a search on Google for the manual

charlie
    Keymaster

Hot of the scanner, copy of user instructions.

dorigny
    Participant

My Uncle had an M1 identical to this one. His was fitted with Aspera at new, which was an early casualty, he then replaced it with a Briggs 3.5Hp.
    His was identical with the central drive engagement lever. More recent models had a handlebar clutch lever and jockey pulley.

Clive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.