Help identifying this old ATCO please!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Help identifying this old ATCO please!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello,

I have just joined the forum after inheriting an old ATCO cylinder mower. I have tried to idetify it using the internet but can only find similar looking machines but not exactly the same. I’m guessing that it my be 1930’s but that is about it.

Is anyone able to help identify my machine?

Many thanks,

Steve

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Good day Steve
    You may do better with assistance with the old lawnmower club as that’s what they are about.
    Tony

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the advice, but it appears that you can’t post onto their forums before you are a member.

I thought this forum covered lawnmowers or have I misread?

hillsider
    Participant

There are several members here that have lawnmowers but I think the suggestion was intended to highlight that the Old Lawnmower Club may yield a better chance of success.

Re posting on their forum you do need to sign up for forum membership but you are not required to be a club member, although that can be arranged should you wish to join up later on. As a forum only member you will not have full access to some areas of the OLC Website that are only accessed by full club members.

Re your Atco mower my first thought was that it is one of the Lightweight series but it does not look like the mower shown in the OLC’S Mower Profiles.

alan
    Participant

This may be of some help although I know little about Atco.

I just had a look in the 70 Years of Garden Machinery book and it says that the 1959 catalogue had the new 14″ and 17″ cylinder mowers with Atco-Villiers AV3 four-strokke engines. Spec included improved kickstart and simplified cutting height adjustment. Front roller was equipped with a scraper.

Also a link to some Atco info:

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/book/export/html/197

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi
    No need to go to the Old Lawn Mower Club web site, you can get all the answers here with the real professionals.
    Your Atco is from the season 1938, it looks like a 17 inch medium weight machine from the pictures, though your exhaust is from a post war machine, the original exhaust should be near enough to the size and shape to the petrol tank.
    The Atco lawn mowers from the 1930’s can be very deceiving as there were many models produced from 1932 to 1939 rest assured The Hall & Duck Trust houses all the correct documents.
    Further we also house all the dating records for Ransomes Motor Mowers
    The Hall & Duck Trust
    Andrew Hall
    Archivist

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.