Greensleeves Lawn Edger

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Greensleeves Lawn Edger

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Went to an autojumble at Ardingly showground this morning, saw this right at the end and thought it would add to my small lawn edger display…

Wasn’t dear either… (thumbs up)

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

Well spotted, certainly deserves a chance to retire into your collection. It is an item that was probably made in fairly large numbers and many will by now been consigned to the scrap pile.

Try trimming your lawn edges with it and you will not need one of those foam stress balls that upwardly mobile executives like to have on their desks!!

vhgmcbuddy

You’re right Ray its not that effective !!

hillsider
    Participant

But it will still make a talking point on one of your displays – even if it does not work very well.

sprayerman
    Participant

Oddly enough I acquired one of these from somewhere long before I started collecting sprayers – now had the internet been as good then as it is now my main interest may not be sprayers? hmm..

No – I shall not go down that route –

vhgmcbuddy

Well the plan is for a small lawn edger display, one manually operated (Greensleeves), one battery operated (Allen) one electrically operated (Tarpen vergemaster) and one petrol powered (Andrews PET)…

jim-beacon
    Participant

I have a Jalo one here, which I suspect doesn’t work very well either!

sprayerman
    Participant

That sounds like an interesting plan Paul.

web2
    Participant

I have looked up the archives of the ‘old forum’ as I remember posting advertising pictures of Greensleeves items on there some time ago. Greensleeves was discussed quite extensively in early 2010.

I have retrieved those pictures and now intend to put them here on the new forum – hopefully!

The first picture is from the Carters Seeds – Blue Book of Gardening Catalogue 1961. Greensleeves products were manufactured by Mitchel & King Limited, Slough.

The second picture is from the 1967 Catalogue of Garden Equipment by Hardware Distributors (Yorkshire) Ltd of Leeds.

Just click on the picture to open it out fully.

Jean

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Paul I know one club member has a lawn edger for a Jobber, so there is another one to look out for.

vhgmcbuddy

Jean, thanks for the information

Charlie, yes a lawn edger for a Jobber would indeed add to the display, one to look out for…

web2
    Participant

Paul
    Next item for your lawn edger display would have to be the Ransomes Lawn Edger – very collectable, reasonably rare and definitely not a cheap buy (unless you are very lucky). The early examples can, I believe, date from 1910 onwards.

Picture is courtesy of Wristpin (found on another forum!!) as I couldn’t find a picture of our Ransomes Lawn Edger; the information is from the sheet that we put with our edger at a rally.

Jean

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Jean, one of my mates on the South Coast has got one of those so I might have to ask nicely to borrow it for the display !!

vhgmcbuddy

I picked up this Ransomes Lawn Edger at an auction last week with 2 Ransomes mowers (a 10″ Cub and a 14″ Ball Bearing) and a Terrex Spade with wooden Handles.
    The Lawn edger was rusted & seized solid so I stripped & renovated it (NOT restored) & got it going a treat; the blades spin like billio!
    Its missing a guard I believe but what a wonderful bit of kit; am going to take it to the allotment to test tomorrow.

Attachments:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.