Elec-Trak battery tractor – update

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Elec-Trak battery tractor – update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

It’s been a while but I have finally got somewhere with the Elec-Trak. It’s all painted and working and waiting for final touches now.

At first I thought that restoring a battery powered tractor would be relatively straight forward, how wrong was I. Trying to get the existing DIY modified electrics back to normal and then finding that a solenoid didn’t work (£50 for the correct one) and then having to have a new 36 volt electric motor (lots of ££££) and then a few batteries (more £££) means it’s dragged on a bit.

The hardest part was getting the old electrics to work as solenoids and switches etc don’t always want to play ball. Coupled with trying to get a new electric motor (old one was missing) was hard as I assumed that since General Electric made the tractor then they would have made the drive motor too. Wrong! All the Elec-Trak fanatics in the US didn’t know exactly what spec the original motors had either! For technical reasons it wasn’t possible to bung a golf buggy motor in so I had to find a new motor with the correct amount of wires etc to connect to solenoids….

The end result is that the tractor now works as it did when new in the early 70’s and I’ve driven it around the garden today. It’s just like a normal tractor with a belt drive to a three speed gearbox and a belt tensioner on the clutch/brake pedal. The only difference is that instead of an engine there’s a great big 36 volt motor.

It still needs it’s stickers and decals attaching and I have to take the seat and have it covered. There are a few other cosmetics bits to do but it’s 90% there.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

If it’s up to your usual standard then it will be a tough one to beat at Newark. It’s good to see a top-notch job done on these rare items, especially as it works as well.
    Well done, Alan. Keep us posted as it develops

trustymasseyman
    Participant

Looking good Alan, hope to see it at Newark

hillsider
    Participant

An excellent job done there and must have been a real challenge to get running again. Is it intended that the cutting deck will be refitted or was that beyond restoration?

vhgmcbuddy

Very smart, you must be chuffed with that Alan.

will-haggle
    Participant

All of the above and ECO friendly as well!

alan
    Participant

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mower deck: The tractor is complete as it stands and the mower deck could be purchased as an optional extra. However it has had a deck fitted at some point. I sort of know where the deck possibly is although I do have the original pair of 36v motors that power the twin blades i.e. one motor per blade.

The tractor has as standard the wiring for the mower motors, this consists of a couple of wires and connectors dangling under the tractor chassis that just plug into the motors. The deck lift mechanism is complete and working and the electrics work too. The gearbox drive motor has to be running in order for the mower deck to be able to be switched on, guess it’s a safety device.

I’d like some of the other 36v attachments to go with the tractor, but will never find any, such as the hedge trimmer, grass strimmer and chainsaw. These plug into the dash socket so the tractors battery pack powers the tools. The welder would be good fun too!

I’ll keep this updated as I get the tractor finished.

alan
    Participant

Inching along slowly and I’ve nearly finished the Elec-Trak.

This weekend we actually started applying the decals, they make a world of difference to the machine and are excellent quality – thanks to a fellow tractor enthusiast for taking the time and trouble to recreate them. Just the front decals to apply now.

I have entered the tractor in at Newark in November so not long to go now! I haven’t been for a couple of years so looking forward to going and taking some machines.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Looks like new.

alan
    Participant

I have now got the mower deck electric motors from Evesham from where I got the tractor from a couple of years ago, should have got the motors at the same time but didn’t.

It’s nice to have the original motors to rebuild the mower deck with and hopefully all will work.

The motors are quite large and weigh 6kg each, I’ve had them plugged in and they work! Just got to rebuild everything now.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Tractor looking great Alan !!

alan
    Participant

A small update: I’ve got the mower deck, it’s hardly been used. It’s now been stripped and undercoated and the steel work is so good that it hasn’t required any filler or straightening out.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Is it going to be ready for Tractor World, Alan?

alan
    Participant

It might be ready for Tractor World, that is if I remember to buy some more yellow paint and the monsoon weather clears up enough for painting!

alan
    Participant

It has only taken eight months but today the mower deck, electric motors and brackets finally got painted. I’m glad to report it has turned out well.

True to form the weather started out fine but then the rained threatened and I was determined to get this deck painted so I had to put up my Billy Smart circus marquee, which is quite apt as the clowns were doing the painting. One day I’ll learn to pick a dry day.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.