Clinton identification needed.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Clinton identification needed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

Was asked to see if I could get this Cast Iron Block Clinton up and running and other than a bit of a struggle with a perforated fuel tank it was fairly straight forward but there is no sign of an engine model or serial number anywhere.
    I have found quite a bit of repair info’ on the net, valve clearances and points gap etc but it looks as though the only way if narrowing it down to even a group of models is to measure the bore and stroke – and it’s a bit late for that!
    It’s the first iron block Clinton that I have seen and will be grateful for any information.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

This link may help.

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry I cant get the link to work but its on the Clinton Engines website under ” cant find model identification tab”

vhgmcbuddy

I just googled Clinton model number 498-0301-137, interesting but if it’s any help to you I don’t know.

dorigny
    Participant

Looks very similar to that fitted on the Merry Tiller Professional….although difficult to determine size from photos.
    I have an ex MT Clinton cast iron engine here but it’s a bit buried at the moment pending, as ever here, 48hr day and parallel universe to have time to other than go to the day job. This is in need of a carburettor and air filter, lost in a previous repair effort. The old carb was warped beyond salvage on its flange…and lost when the project moved home. 🙁
    I wonder if a note of the numbers from the carb on yours might help my search.? I did find another carb but it was wrong way round, mirror image like, and could not be married up.
    Somewhere, I also have an aluminium Clinton, sold to me as being off a drain rodding machine.?? another one to get sorted….one day 😉 that one is a bit similar in style to a B&S 3hp block.
    Neither are types that I got to see when working in machinery world up to 22 years ago.

Clive.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi angus. The number is stamped on the metal shroud which wraps around the cooling fins near to flywheel cover

vhgmcbuddy

also have some service clearances if theres any you need for a 498 series angus.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you need any info or parts on anything Clinton email Larry in the states larry@larryrarus.com He is brilliant and loves to help out. If he can’t he will put you onto someone who can.

wristpin
    Participant

Thanks for that info’. The engine has gone to a new home courtesy of that auction site. Never did find a model number but used some generic information to set up the points and valve clearances. Must have got it about right as it had good compression and was a reliable second pull starter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.