Briggs & Stratton valve collars

Home Forums General Help and information Briggs & Stratton valve collars

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

When I restored my 1960 3HP B&S fitted to a water pump I found removing the valves quite easy. Compress the collar and spring and pull out the little pin; re-assembly was quite easy too.

The 1976 engine I am re-building however, has no pins but, the collar has an elongated hole. I am sure there is a good engineering reason why B&S changed the design but, as for removing them, they’re a nightmare ! The B&S valve spring compressor is next to useless and the whole process is slow and frustrating.

I’m sure the people who design these things never have to work on them. Having worked in Industry for some years I have found some designers surprisingly lacking in common sense.

wristpin
    Participant

Think that you are being a mite harsh with your comments. The key hole valve spring retainers are used by many manufacturers and work well and the Briggs valve spring compressor is one of the best around for small engine work – I use one regularly on Briggs and other small engines and have never had any issues with it – far from useless. Its use is illustrated in the Briggs L head ( side valve ) manual.
    Assemble the valve spring and the top and bottom retainers into the tool, compress, insert into the valve chest, drop the valve stem through it, lower the tool to engage the small end of the key hole in the groove of the stem and release the tool – job done; 30 seconds max.
    Can you be a bit more specific re the nature of the issues that you are experiencing.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Was letting off steam really. I can see how the compressor would work well in re-assembling. My issue is in dismantling. You have to insert the compressor between the collar and the spring and close enough to the top of the spring in order to compress the spring sufficiently to remove the collar. Problem is the gap between the coils is very small and it is very difficult to get the retainers in.

stuart
    Participant

I agree with wristpin.The B and S valve spring compressor is an excellent and easy tool to use but I have done many hundreds of valves over the years using said tool.I have also used it on other manufacturers valves springs that it was never designed to compress !
    Most times there is no need to use the tool when removing the key hole retainers as a screwdriver placed underneath and then pushed up will usually free it.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Any suggestions on how to use it when dismantling would be appreciated. It seems a rather big tool to fit easily in the comparatively small valve chest and between the coils of the springs.

wristpin
    Participant

I seldom attempt to use the BS tool for dismantling, only for reassembling. As has been said in another reply,the trick for dismantling is to use a “hooky thing” to rotate the key hole retainer so that the wide part of the key hole is towards you so that an upward and forward thrust disengages it from the valve stem.
    In the attached pic of my collection of small engine valve tools the “hooky thing” is to the left within the big spring compressor.

Attachments:
    sidevalve44
    Participant

Thanks, that’s really helpful. No wonder I was getting so frustrated !

Is your “hooky” thing a B&S item or one you’ve made up yourself ?

wristpin
    Participant

My tool was made by KD Tools and came from the US but I have seen them in various UK catalogues but not lately. An old screwdriver could easily be modified with a bend on the end ground into a hook. The other end with the cut out to lift and lever the bottom retainer may not be so easy to reproduce but once you have the keyhole lined up a screwdriver will push it off.
    The other tool beside it in my last post, is much used and is a Trcnamotor/Aspera/Tecumseh tool – no longer available but fairly easy to make.

KD Tool

Attachments:
    sidevalve44
    Participant

Thanks wristpin. I have just looked on Briggsbits site again and noticed that a tool very similar to yours is still available. It would seem I should have ordered both tools; one to dismantle and one to put it back together again !

As I’ve managed to dismantle them I won’t be needing one straight away but, will certainly add one to my tool-kit in due course.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.