bmb ploughmate

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

good morning all
    could anyone help me out please,i have a bmb ploughmate with a briggs and stratton zz engine which is poorly,need to get my hands on a barrel and a carbureter for this engine,as would like to keep it as original as possible,
    does anybody know of any ploughing competitions with the walk behind tractors in the lancashire or merseyside area
    many thanks

chap
    Participant

Sorry i am no expert on the ZZ but with ref to ploughing matches look at the Society of Ploughmen web site Local matches most will run a horti class http://www.ploughmen.co.uk/
    hope that helps.

charlie
    Keymaster

It might be possible to save the bore by having it honed.

joegrgraham
    Participant

I’ve just finished the B + S ZZ engine on my Trusty. Carb’s do turn up on a certain auction site, and if you go on the .com (US) version of said site, you will find plenty of people offering carb kits. I got one from the US, N.O.S including postage cost about £25 and only took a couple of weeks to arrive. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll pass on a couple of sellers who supply parts.

Joe.

franktonpaget
    Participant

The B&S ZZ engine was fitted to early production BMB Ploughmate’s
    A publication which may be helpfull to you is The Motor Traders Service Data sheet No 116 “Servicing the BMB Tractor” published in October 1942 gives data on engine and complete machine.
    Postwar American built B&S engines were not used in cash strapped UK by BMB and particularly after devaluation of pound against USA dollar also became much more costly.
    You could fit the alternative and much more readily available JAP 5 engine used by BMB in the ploughmate to get ploughing until you restore your B&S to working condition .
    regards FP

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for your advice,in the process of looking at a jap engine could you please help me out again,the engine is approx 18 inch high by 10 inch by 10 inch,no numbers on any casings or engine,is this the 5,6 or 55 model,any help would be appreciated,thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

The 55 is a two cylinder engine.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi there
    seems like we may have similar machines as currently mine is fitted with a Honda engine but fortunately the chap i bought it off kept the Briggs engine tucked away under the bench as it had a broken exhaust valve luckily i managed to locate one from our neighbours in the USA and am now awaiting said item to arrive so then i shall be able to refit the beast with her original heart

vhgmcbuddy

Hi there I havealso a bmb plowmate but mine has a 6hp map engine which has a trailer instead of the plow as the last owner removed it all and made the trailer,my bmb has the spiked twin wheels which I am looking to replace with rubber tyres as I an not using it to plow with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.