Best way to clean a fuel tank??

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Best way to clean a fuel tank??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have to some how clean the inside of the metal fuel tank on one of my bolens tractors

Apart from filling it with stones & parafin & strapping it to a mixer for the day, is there an eco chemical I can fill it with to eat out the rust.

The tank is good & strong but needs a good clean before I can put it back into use

Any ideas???

Thanks

wristpin
    Participant

Electrolysis is an option. A little bit more tricky than dunking it in a tank of electrolyte to remove external rust as one electrode has to be inserted through the filler orifice with a sleeve to prevent contact with the metal tank. You then fill the fuel tank with electrolyte, connect up to the power source and leave it to cook.
    All the rust will then migrate from the tank walls and be collected on the electrode.

charlie
    Keymaster

It might be worth having a look at POR15 Marine Clean This is what comes in the fuel tank repair kits.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie, I will check this out!

chap
    Participant

One of the best ways from the old furum is half fill it with fuel add a length of chain and shake well drain and do it again, if there any hole about to appear this will bring them forward.

vhgmcbuddy

I use a mix of paraffin and diesel which softens rust and depending how bad cerosate and leave to soak and a handful of ball bearings. Off different sizes if possible.

Hope this helps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.