Bean Rowcrop Tractor

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Bean Rowcrop Tractor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Does anyone please have one of these machines? I hope to begin restoration of one fitted with a Ford sidevalve engine soon and would be glad to have any advice re the job and/or any clues as to where user manual, advertising material, photos etc may be found.
    Many thanks
    David
    Megandlottie@gmail.com

The photo is not mine but a superbly-restored example of a Bean!

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

There is a Bean being exhibited at the Somerset Tractor Show Bath and West showground
    on 1st and 2nd February. Worth a look if you live nearby.

charlie
    Keymaster

The one at the show mentioned could well be one of several owned by one of our club members.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the ref to Shepton Mallet next week.
    This old girl is not seized but needs rebuild. V appreciative of any clues re. spares, manual etc.
    No idea why it is green.
    Another modification is the drive wheels; the frame has been cut and widened, wheel spacers fixed to drums and wheel dishes reversed.
    Previous owner says it was to enable wider rows to be cultivated.
    There is no spec plate to be seen anywhere. Can anyone guess its age?
    Cheers!

Attachments:
    franktonpaget
    Participant

The Bean used a Ford 8hp sidevalve engine with the 10cwt Ford van axle
    I have a Ford engine dating record if you can give me the engine number stamped on the angled surface above the exhaust manifold I can give you a manufacturing year for the engine and approximate month of production,which if the engine is original should give some guide to age of machine.
    Your machine looks to be a three wheeler which was the original design dating from 1940’s, I have a early price list dated May 1946 and the introduction by Humberside Agricultural Products Co Ltd of a new horticultural tractor was announced in Farm Implement and Machinery Review in April 1945.
    All Bean’s I have seen have been painted red with implements painted green
    Hope this assists, will try and add some illustrations
    regards Joe Paget

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Good evening, Joe,
    Many thanks for this email, which is the best information I’ve seen so far! The article is fascinating and the technical data is excellent.
    Good evening, Joe,

I’ve just come in from the garage, where I’m fettling up a replacement engine which is stated to be low mileage; the original is in need of a rebuild.

The colour was originally red and it has been modified somewhat but that is all part of its charm. The aim is not to over-retsore it but to get into weather-proof running order …. another way of saying I’m a garden-shed mechanic, definitely not an engineer!

Your offer to date the engine is much-appreciated and I will send both soon.

Kind regards

David

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the update re handbook .. I have a printer and would be v glad of a copy.
    David

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve taken a few Bean pics. in my time – here they are….

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi again, Joe,

I checked the engine number on the original block; it is a bit unclear looks like

RY 1357101(0?)1P

The replacement is

RY1091356PC

V Grateful if you can date them.

Regards

David

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Alan,

many thanks for the photos … Excellent clues for the rebuild!

Kind regards

David

franktonpaget
    Participant

David,

8hp engines serial numbers start with “Y” followed by six numbers.

The numbers you supplied are RY135710(0)IP and RY1091356PC
    You have too many numbers ?
    If it was RY135710, this would be a reconditioned engine (R) Y for 8hp and 135710 was manufactured in 1936
    If it was RY109135,, this would be a reconditioned engine (R) Y for 8hp and 109135 was manufactured in 1935
    The one thing for sure is you have two Ford reconditioned engines , so these engines are not original to your tractor and will not help with dating
    Another route is to have a look at the Lucas dynamo and starter,Lucas stamped year of manufacture on the body casing if they are originals and hopefully the same year this might give you a manufacturing year.Anyway worth a try
    regards Joe Paget

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.